LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the stuff in a can liike? I hear when you touch it, it dulls but if you cover it with clear will that solve that problem? I also hear this stuff is like 12bux us for a can. Anyone here ever used it?

thanks

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
man, that shit is $12 + tax for a 4 oz. can...
it is exaclty the same as this stuff i got at walmart for 4 something for an 11oz. can

it was honestly a waste of money. everyone on here makes a big deal out of the alclad chrome. well, i did everything as instructions said. and sprayed it on and it is silver, not actual chrome like it is made out to be. i mean it is close but this stuff from walmart looked better when i sprayed it on.

Chrome 7718[/b]

Last edited by The Mad Modeler at Aug 7 2003, 07:38 PM

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by WgRyDaZ@Aug 7 2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks Homie ;) :cool:
no problem man.... just lookin out for you guys here. even if it means me taking a fall myself to find out answers. lol
actually i asked about this a couple of months back because i had been looking at it for awhile and wasnt sure about it. everyone seemed clueless about it like it didnt really exsist or something. lol
but i finally broke down and bought some last friday and was pissed! lol
not to mention i had to buy some black TAMIYA acrylic paint to put under it for another $3.00 for a small ass bottle. because you have to use this as a base because it is a waterbased paint. the guy at the store told me this is what i needed for it when i asked. and it also said the same thing on alclads website when i got home.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for savin my ass 20 bux madd! Everyone say thanks to The mad Modeler for this heads up! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about your results Mad Modeler, but I have seen a couple of models that looked pretty good with that Alclad. Of course its not going to come out as shiny as kit or plated chrome, but thats what the dudes I talked to liked about it. I guess it's just the lowriders that like their chrome triple dipped and gleaming! =)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by LowJay6911@Aug 7 2003, 09:31 PM
hey where can i get some off that shit! I hate that silver paint, trying to make it look chrome :guns: :machinegun:
which stuff? the expensive ass shit or the cheap stuff that works the same that i posted in those pics?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by LowJay6911@Aug 7 2003, 09:36 PM
cheap! :biggrin:
WALMART....

it's--->

RUST-OLEUM
BRIGHT COAT
METALLIC FINISH

the color and code on the can above the barcode is:
Chrome 7718

it's like $4.99 compared to 15-16 bucks for the same result.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by jevries@Aug 8 2003, 01:27 AM
Looks pretty good! perfect for undercarriages and stuff.
Did you spray a black layer first?
well, actually i brushed on a pretty thick coat of TAMIYA SemiGloss Black Acrylic and then sprayed 2 good coats of the walmart chrome over it once it dried completely.
still thinking about some testors GLOSSCOAT over it to see how it looks. :dunno:

its just a spare rear i had left over from one of my 59 Implalas so i used it as a test piece. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts