LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin for one. I have been hearing there is a cheap route, but I cant find any information on a kit to chrome parts for your model car.

I know someone will know. Thanks :cool:

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
there are do-it-yourself kits, but it's definetly not the cheap route. ChromeTech would be your best bet, or look in your local yellow pages for plating/plastic plating..etc..etc...

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea I've checked out ChrometechUSA, but it seems someone had made a do it yourself kit, I just cant remember where I heard it from. Something about dipping the parts in something.... maybe im just crazy :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Ok, i posted this the other day, so i just copied and pasted it.

<><><><>

Caswell INC. sells the necassary stuff to plate your plastic. Here are the basic steps involved.

1.Make the part conductive with a conductive spray paint. (must use air brush)

Attach a copper wire to the item, to conduct the electric current.

Shake the canister vigorously for at least two minutes. Pour the liquid into the spray gun (air brush etc) and check for copper sediment in the original container and if present, remix the solution until all copper sediment is suspended in the solution. You may add up to 5% acetone or lacquer thinner to aid spraying with an air-brush.

Spray a light mist coat onto the part, and allow to dry for at least 5 minutes (@ 68°F min).

Spray a second heavier coat, at about 12" from the object, ensuring you spray up to and over the copper plating wire.

Allow to dry for at least 15 minutes.

Copper Plate the part @ 1 volt for approx 30 minutes, then increase to 1.5 - 2 volts for whatever time you require. Parts will plate @ approx. 1/1000" per hour.

Once plated with copper you may polish lightly, then nickel and/or gold plate.

The smallest copper plating system is $105.(1.5Gallon)
Conductive Spray Paint is $25
The smallest chrome plating system is $495(1.5Gallon)

So unless you plan on making a business out of it, or are just stinking rich, it doesn't sound like a smart finacial move.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Dec 5 2003, 03:12 PM

<><><><>

Caswell INC. sells the necassary stuff to plate your plastic. Here are the basic steps involved.

Shake the canister vigorously for at least two minutes. Pour the liquid into the spray gun (air brush etc) and check for copper sediment in the original container and if present, remix the solution until all copper sediment is suspended in the solution. You may add up to 5% acetone or lacquer thinner to aid spraying with an air-brush.

Spray a light mist coat onto the part, and allow to dry for at least 5 minutes (@ 68?F min).

Spray a second heavier coat, at about 12" from the object, ensuring you spray up to and over the copper plating wire.

Copper Plate the part @ 1 volt for approx 30 minutes, then increase to 1.5 - 2 volts for whatever time you require. Parts will plate @ approx. 1/1000" per hour.

So unless you plan on making a business out of it, or are just stinking rich, it doesn't sound like a smart finacial move.
I totally agree!! Thanks for all the info man

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by S10laynframe+Dec 5 2003, 05:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (S10laynframe @ Dec 5 2003, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--1ofaknd@Dec 5 2003, 03:12 PM

<><><><>

Spray a light mist coat onto the part, and allow to dry for at least 5 minutes (@ 68?F min).

I totally agree!! Thanks for all the info man[/b][/quote]
No problem. It's basically done the same way normal metal parts are done, but you have to make the plastic part conductive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts