LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen alot of cars with 20+ cylinders, all of which do not have upper trailing arms. The uppers seem to always be mounted to the lowers. That being the case, it doesnt look like there is any way to laterally stabelize the rear end and eliminate side to side sway.

Its obvious most of these guys dont drive these cars, since they usually dont have bumpers, headlights, etc, but I am curious if anyone has pics of radically lifted rears, that are still practical drivers. Over the winter I am thinking of relocating and extending my lower trailing arms to allow for a much taller cylinder, but havent completely figured out how I want to modify to upppers to accomidate such a large lockup, but still keep a good pinion angle and minimal lateral sway.

Anyone have any pics of some tried and true rear end setups that allow extreme lift but are still reliable for daily use?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
man... keep it with 18's max... you don't want to fuck up your cars rear... yeah cars look nice locked up high but hell naw... our biggest problem when we drove the cutty was the damn rear end moving sideways LOL... but fuck it, it was a hopper... if you really want to do it... there's a simple way...

weld a bar halfway the frame... then from there use cylindrical steel to attach to the rear end and then you have to bend them upward near the rear end.... that way you can lock and ride...

but then again, its also called fabrication...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob@Oct 12 2003, 05:00 PM
I have seen alot of cars with 20+ cylinders, all of which do not have upper trailing arms. The uppers seem to always be mounted to the lowers. That being the case, it doesnt look like there is any way to laterally stabelize the rear end and eliminate side to side sway.

Its obvious most of these guys dont drive these cars, since they usually dont have bumpers, headlights, etc, but I am curious if anyone has pics of radically lifted rears, that are still practical drivers. Over the winter I am thinking of relocating and extending my lower trailing arms to allow for a much taller cylinder, but havent completely figured out how I want to modify to upppers to accomidate such a large lockup, but still keep a good pinion angle and minimal lateral sway.

Anyone have any pics of some tried and true rear end setups that allow extreme lift but are still reliable for daily use?
i saw the springs, it loks like its time 2 pop new ones, they only so far specially on that monster, but if u r looking into making a frame like i'll sell u my, any way u want it, i can sell u the axle only or frame & axle,or complete that way u c it in the pic theres alot of fabing on it. i'm building something else 4 2004 i need to get better pics

Last edited by BIG ED at Oct 12 2003, 06:08 PM

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
a 4 link with mounting points that are as far forward as the end of the tranny is the only way to have lift, no sway, and still do 3-wheel. All that other stuff alow no 3-wheel.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Originally posted by hydrota@Oct 12 2003, 06:12 PM
a 4 link with mounting points that are as far forward as the end of the tranny is the only way to have lift, no sway, and still do 3-wheel. All that other stuff alow no 3-wheel.
true, true homie but i'm not interest in the 3 wheel thing. we are damm good fabist and seem just about every fab in the book. we do not copy other fabs :thumbsup: :thumbsup:i don't think theres a sway on my.

Last edited by BIG ED at Oct 12 2003, 06:22 PM

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by hydrota+Oct 12 2003, 08:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hydrota @ Oct 12 2003, 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--big pimpin@Oct 12 2003, 07:23 PM
Locks up.....lays down....and can be driving anywhere.

what kinda rear suspension it got?[/b][/quote]
Four link :) Drives like a factory car.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin@Oct 12 2003, 06:23 PM

i feel u homie pretty nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but seen that car laying and seem that axle is not in the middle and i maybe wrong

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by BIG ED+Oct 12 2003, 08:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BIG ED @ Oct 12 2003, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--big pimpin@Oct 12 2003, 06:23 PM

i feel u homie pretty nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but seen that car laying and seem that axle is not in the middle and i maybe wrong[/b][/quote]
When the car was first brought out it did 60 inches and the wheels were in the middle of the wheel well.

.....the owner wanted more so he extend the trailing arms more which did put the wheels back. We don't want to do that anymore so we are being more ingenuitive. ;)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by hydrota@Oct 12 2003, 08:12 PM
Yeah, keeping the car able to still do a 3 wheel, and the higher the better, is still preferred. With a 4 link having arms that long, I'm wondering if a triangulated 4 link is still feasable, or would it be better to use a parallel and a diagonal link?

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Are you going for hopping too? Cuz the blue lincoln still has both bumpers...straight body panels...small tires...dumps down..not circus at all. You can only set any car up to work right with all the body pieces intacked. Raising the ass to a certain point will make the front bumper hit the ground when hopping..you have to take this into account.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin@Oct 12 2003, 08:04 PM
Are you going for hopping too? Cuz the blue lincoln still has both bumpers...straight body panels...small tires...dumps down..not circus at all. You can only set any car up to work right with all the body pieces intacked. Raising the ass to a certain point will make the front bumper hit the ground when hopping..you have to take this into account.
Anybody can take a car and add alot of weight and make it stand up, it's not very hard. :0

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by yetti+Oct 12 2003, 09:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yetti @ Oct 12 2003, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--big pimpin@Oct 12 2003, 08:04 PM
Are you going for hopping too?   Cuz the blue lincoln still has both bumpers...straight body panels...small tires...dumps down..not circus at all.    You can only set any car up to work right with all the body pieces intacked.   Raising the ass to a certain point will make the front bumper hit the ground when hopping..you have to take this into account.
Anybody can take a car and add alot of weight and make it stand up, it's not very hard. :0[/b][/quote]
This is true.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by big pimpin@Oct 12 2003, 09:04 PM
Are you going for hopping too?   Cuz the blue lincoln still has both bumpers...straight body panels...small tires...dumps down..not circus at all.    You can only set any car up to work right with all the body pieces intacked.   Raising the ass to a certain point will make the front bumper hit the ground when hopping..you have to take this into account.
Absolutely going for hopping as well, thats the main reason I am trying to get the ass locked up so high is so that we can stand the car up. With just the 16'' and the 4 link I have in it now, its very difficult to hop it without banging the front bumper and I know I am only going to aggrevate the problem with a higher rear lockup, but I have a couple tricks up my sleeve for the front suspension and front bumper that we are working on now, so that aspect of it I think I have under control.

Biggest hurdle I'm trying to get over is the rear suspension. Its got to be completely functional and drivable, yet radical enough to pause the car on the bumper... and pause it waaay high... vertical would be nice in fact :biggrin:

Am just so sick of watching guys hopping raggedy ass fucking buckets with no bumpers, and want to build something better.

·
Hot Head President
5,431 Posts
ive seen circus cars that lock up, lay, 3 wheel and drive.... :cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
just outta curiosity, and possibly the future (and another car) sake, can you mount cylinders on the lower bar of a 4-link to get better than a 1:1 lift ratio outta your cylinders and still do a chain link overtop the axle that'll function as it's supposed to? in my head it makes sense, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's feasible.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
you have to think also when a car is setting on the bumper all the wight of the car is on the back, this will put alot of stress on many parts of the car even with a full frame wrap

i would just make it as high as some of the cars that set on the ass but were it dont and just comes back down it would be a shame to see a really clean car come back and set on its ass and crack/ chip the paint or mabe even buckle something

just my 2 cents :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob+Oct 12 2003, 07:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cadillac Bob @ Oct 12 2003, 07:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--big pimpin@Oct 12 2003, 09:04 PM
Absolutely going for hopping as well, thats the main reason I am trying to get the ass locked up so high is so that we can stand the car up. With just the 16'' and the 4 link I have in it now, its very difficult to hop it without banging the front bumper and I know I am only going to aggrevate the problem with a higher rear lockup, but I have a couple tricks up my sleeve for the front suspension and front bumper that we are working on now, so that aspect of it I think I have under control.

Biggest hurdle I'm trying to get over is the rear suspension. Its got to be completely functional and drivable, yet radical enough to pause the car on the bumper... and pause it waaay high... vertical would be nice in fact :biggrin:

Am just so sick of watching guys hopping raggedy ass fucking buckets with no bumpers, and want to build something better.[/b][/quote]
buy the frame from Big Ed's... have him build you one, this guy is good at fabricating...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.