LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stop at a stop sign then proceed to make a left hand turn I here a loud clanking sound coming from the front left suspension area. It almost sounds as though something is catching and then letting go. It is very embarrasing. Any ideas on what it is and how to fix would be great.

Once again. Thanks for the help.


Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
not to sure but sounds like either the fender is hooking or rotors ..just check to ssee if the wheel spins freely while its on a jack while turned all the way hard left..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
Originally posted by cobrakeeper05@Aug 19 2006, 04:44 PM~6001829
When I stop at a stop sign then proceed to make a left hand turn I here a loud clanking sound coming from the front left suspension area.  It almost sounds as though something is catching and then letting go.  It is very embarrasing.  Any ideas on what it is and how to fix would be great.

Once again. Thanks for the help.
Aaron
sounds like its most likely your wheels, check and make sure you put your knock off's on the correct side, if its on the correct side, make sure and check your wheel that is not possibly comming loose..check those 2 things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told by oneofmy neighbors it might have something to do with the rotors so I will definately check that. As for the wheels I currently do nothaveknock offs on my car. I actually got it with some crappy ass luxor pans. HAve no fear I will be upgrading very soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,037 Posts
Originally posted by cobrakeeper05@Aug 20 2006, 09:13 AM~6004341
I was told by oneofmy neighbors it might have something to do with the rotors so I will definately check that.  As for the wheels I currently do nothaveknock offs on my car. I actually got it with some crappy ass luxor pans.  HAve no fear I will be upgrading very soon.


:cool:
 

·
-394 CUSTOMS-
Joined
·
8,553 Posts
im almost positve 64s came with drum brakes all the way around. the had power drum brakes, but no disc brakes. put it up on jackstands and wiggle your tire top to bottom and side to side. check for sloppy ball joints and sloppy tie rod ends.or take the dust cap off ans check your wheel bearings too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
CHECK YOU WHEEL BEARINGS!!!! It will fuck your rotors if you catch it too late...happened on my 65 impala sounded the same way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Hey bro check your front control arm bushings my 67 did the samething they were worn out fell out so it was shifting back and forth when a I would turn left or right. replaced them never had the problem again. later Impala 67 :thumbsup: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Originally posted by cobrakeeper05@Aug 19 2006, 06:44 PM~6001829
When I stop at a stop sign then proceed to make a left hand turn I here a loud clanking sound coming from the front left suspension area.  It almost sounds as though something is catching and then letting go.  It is very embarrasing.  Any ideas on what it is and how to fix would be great.

Once again. Thanks for the help.
Aaron
what year of impala is yours
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
The alignment shims for the upper a arm may have fallen out. That will let it move around, making the noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Originally posted by NorCal75+Aug 23 2006, 11:53 PM~6030658-->
im almost positve 64s came with drum brakes all the way around. the had power drum brakes, but no disc brakes. put it up on jackstands and wiggle your tire top to bottom and side to side. check for sloppy ball joints and sloppy tie rod ends.or take the dust cap off ans check your wheel bearings too.
[/b]

Originally posted by IMPALA [email protected] 8 2006, 10:40 AM~6130943
Hey bro check your front control arm bushings my 67 did the samething they were worn out fell out so it was shifting back and forth when a I would turn left or right. replaced them never had the problem again. later Impala 67 :thumbsup:  :cool:

<!--QuoteBegin-jayoldschool
@Sep 8 2006, 08:23 PM~6134717
The alignment shims for the upper a arm may have fallen out.  That will let it move around, making the noise.
These will be the best answers for this problem. A car that old will have some worn parts and most likely, they will be bushings and such unless it was done correctly and all that stuff was replaced. Also, unless you have an updated brake system in your car, you do not have rotors. Why people keep talking about rotors is beyond me. So when you have it on the jack stands, make sure you look at all your bushings on the control arms and on any stabilization parts the car may have. More than likely though, it will be a loose bolt for your control arm if you have hydraulics on the car. :biggrin:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top