LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner... although this stuff works great I think it is a little too hard on the chrome finish... I am starting to see fine scratches (spider web effect)

What do you use to clean your wheels? How do you handle brake dust?

I am not sure dust shields are a good idea... because I have chrome spindles and chrome rear dust shields... don't really want to redirect the dust from the wheel to the suspension... Anyone with chrome suspension use dust covers behind their wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
i have been using hot rims by meguires for 3 years on this set off wheels

i do follow directions, are you cleaning the wheel when wheel is cold to touch?
are you also not leaving on for any longer than suggested?

reason i ask is because if you smell the product it is not to offensive and has very little acid smell and my feelings are it is on the gentle side

and it is not even fair because this photo was at least with 1 weeks worth of grime on wheel

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
i dont let mine get dirty...i just use dish soap and a stiff bristled duster...like every two months i take them off and clean them from the back also..

ceramic brake pads keep the dust off em

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I might be leaving it on too long... I am ashamed to admit it but I usually spray my wheels and let the wheel cleaner do its thing while I wash the rest of the car... then I finish off the wheels... oops shoud have taken the time to read the damn instructions... and I will definitely look into ceramic brake pads

Thanks for the replies

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Yeah man, I definitely wouldn't let the stuff sit that long. A couple minutes max and then a good rinse, preferably high pressure to blow off any sticky dust, and you should be good. :cool:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I use Eagle One Tire and Wheel cleaner all the time. I cleaned the back of my wheels the other day with it and It cut straight thru 2 1/2 years of brake dust build up and they shined like they were brand new. The way I clean them is, I spray one wheel and tire and then brush the tire and wheel and then I move on to the next one. After I finish the last one I go back and hose them off in the order I cleaned them. I like to use the Black Magic Tire brush and Black Magic Wheel brushes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts