LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the truck, well trucks I painted here in the last month that the clear is ruff, has a orange pill look. What can I do to improve this? What I'm I doing wrong?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
gun, distance, spray pattern, speed, you, wrong reducer, wrong gun for clear, cheap gun, anything could be the problem, you have to narrow it down.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Don't worry about it bro, it's almost guaranteed that you will have a little peel when you are done spraying. A lot of people think that the paint job is finished as soon as you put down your spray gun, and I guess it is for people that aren't concerned with producing quality work, but for the rest of us there is still a lot of work that needs to be done. Block it all out by hand, then rub and polish it. It will take some practice to become proficient at it, but once you have that mastered, your paint jobs will look like a sheet of glass. Good luck!

Drew

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is alot of things that make paint do what it does -- air temp , spray pattern , Ect,,,, But who cares -- ITS CLEAR!!!!!! You can wet sand & buff it...... :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by 64@Nov 19 2003, 06:17 PM
I noticed on the truck, well trucks I painted here in the last month that the clear is ruff, has a orange pill look. What can I do to improve this? What I'm I doing wrong?
this is one of the reasons i asked you how many coats of clear you had on the blue truck---i did see alot of "orange peel" and like everyone has said you are just at the beginning stages of the final paint job but if you do noyt have enought clear over the paint you are going to go right through the clear and into the paint-----then guess what--------you have to start over again---especially on a candy----now if you do have eneough clear and only you kow how much you put on then you have to wait until the clear of just right to be able to wet sand it---if i were you since you don't have much experience start w/ 1500 wet and dry w/ a sanding pad---some will tell you to use a sand block but i personally do not like them for this phase---------good luck bro

"richee"

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
START WITH 1000 GRIP WET PAPER...TILL ITS FLAT..THEN HIT IT WITH 2000 WET PAPER..USE SOME COMPOND AND """REMEMBER"" TO WATER DOWN THE COMPOND SOME THAT WAY YOU WON'T BURN THE PAINT SO EASY

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 20 2003, 04:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 20 2003, 04:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--64@Nov 19 2003, 06:17 PM
this is one of the reasons i asked you how many coats of clear you had on the blue truck---i did see alot of "orange peel" and like everyone has said you are just at the beginning stages of the final paint job but if you do noyt have enought clear over the paint you are going to go right through the clear and into the paint-----then guess what--------you have to start over again---especially on a candy----now if you do have eneough clear and only you kow how much you put on then you have to wait until the clear of just right to be able to wet sand it---if i were you since you don't have much experience start w/ 1500 wet and dry w/ a sanding pad---some will tell you to use a sand block but i personally do not like them for this phase---------good luck bro

"richee"[/b][/quote]
took the words right out of my mouth 1500 grit wet :cool:

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT+Nov 20 2003, 10:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SWITCHCRAFT @ Nov 20 2003, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2003, 04:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--64
@Nov 19 2003, 06:17 PM

"richee"
took the words right out of my mouth 1500 grit wet :cool:[/b][/quote]
Thats what I had in mind.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If Your have all the right products and are using the right gun, Then it could be your air pressure..... To high of an air pressure will blast the clear onto the surface and the excess overspray will result in a dry orange peal look... To little air pressure can cause large droplets to form on the surface and that would cause larger orange peal ;)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
when i finished mine i waited a month and wet sanded with 1000 and shot more clear just to be safe when i buffed it out. i was more scared buffing it then painting the kandy itself. :uh:

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered a buffer wednesday and it has not come in yet.
I'll keep ya posted

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Nov 20 2003, 10:55 AM
I if I were you since you don't have much experience start w/ 1500 wet and dry w/ a sanding pad---some will tell you to use a sand block but i personally do not like them for this phase---------good luck bro

"richee"
What do you mean by this??? "dry w/ a sanding pad"

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by sabre@Dec 2 2003, 04:43 AM
I think he means a soft flexible pad - instead of the hard rubber block you find em at autobody stores ..
you got it bro---the soft flexible pad about 5"x 3" more or less w/ the holes in it------------peace

1 - 17 of 17 Posts