LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In Due Time!!!!
Joined
·
16,261 Posts
as far as I know if you don't want to grind at all you'll have to do 14" D's or Z's
 

·
Raining Game 66
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
i ran 13" chinas on my 93 and my 96 fleetwood and have no problems with clearance all you have to do is pull off the skirt and and cut the levers so there only 3 inchs long make sure to grind them smooth and then make a small cut by the a inch a way from the pivot spot so you can bend the tab when locking it into place and then trim the plastic all the way down were it use to lock into place and on the body u just need to pull the lip out a little.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by DOOZER@Feb 9 2010, 02:23 PM~16561343
as far as I know if you don't want to grind at all you'll have to do 14" D's or Z's
I've got a '94 Caprice with 4 wheel disc brakes and i still had to grind both the front and back calipers to fit my Daytons. ;) Now, my homie has the same car but with drums in the back and all we did was grind the front and install 1/4" spacers, nothing on the rear. 13's are not going to fit if you've got 4 wheel disc brakes.

Here's a front caliper, you can see where i grinded.




Tires are 195/75 14 just for reference. 175's don't give me enough traction and have the car sitting too low.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the imputs. :cool: It will help

I forgot to clarify a little detail. Front wont be a problem. I'm actually building a 1968 Impala, and will be using a 1996 impala rear end. (for better travel and elimination of the pan-hard)

Since the diff did not came with the caliper from the salvage yard, I had to buy new ones, plus I was planning to get them chrome out. That's why I was not convice about grinding them.




:scrutinize:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Feb 9 2010, 09:36 PM~16567379
I've got a '94 Caprice  with 4 wheel disc brakes and i still had to grind both the front and back calipers to fit my Daytons. ;)   Now, my homie has the same car but with drums in the back and all we did was grind the front and install 1/4" spacers, nothing on the rear.  13's are not going to fit if you've got 4 wheel disc brakes.

Here's a front caliper, you can see where i grinded.


Tires are 195/75 14 just for reference.  175's don't give me enough traction and have the car sitting too low.


Nice ride btw

And thanks, :cool:

Looks like I'm gonna have to save a little more for a set of Dayton. :biggrin:
Still sucks for the 14 tho.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by kaos283@Feb 11 2010, 06:55 PM~16586586
Thanks for the imputs. :cool: It will help

I forgot to clarify a little detail. Front wont be a problem. I'm actually building a 1968 Impala, and will be using a 1996 impala rear end. (for better travel and elimination of the pan-hard)

Since the diff did not came with the caliper from the salvage yard, I had to buy new ones, plus I was planning to get them chrome out. That's why I was not convice about grinding them.
:scrutinize:
Well i'm sure i could have used 1/4" spacers in the back, if that helps. I barely grinded at all in the back. If you're planning on chrome plating, i would just grind down more than enough and make it real smooth before sending to the plater. :biggrin: Don't forget to add 2 bottles of the limited slip additive if you're changing out the diff fluid ;)
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,068 Posts
Looks good. I know on my caprice the factory only made one proportioning valve for the disc/disc cars as well as the disc/drum cars so the caliper brackets in back will tend to freeze up and rear brakes don't wear down much at all due to the proportioning valve only allowing 90/10 braking from front/rear. This also, causes the car to nose dive when braking hard. I'm not sure what setup you have but in my case i invested in a "stealth brake bolt". Basically it's just a solid bolt that goes in place of the factory one on the proportiong valve(also remove the pintle and spring). It allows the proper 70/30 braking and no more nose diving when braking hard. :cool:

Might be worth checking out.

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Brakes.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Feb 22 2010, 08:03 PM~16693212
Looks good.  I know on my caprice the factory only made one proportioning valve for the disc/disc cars as well as the disc/drum cars so the caliper brackets in back will tend to freeze up and rear brakes don't wear down much at all due to the proportioning valve only allowing 90/10 braking from front/rear.  This also, causes the car to nose dive when braking hard.  I'm not sure what setup you have but in my case i invested in a "stealth brake bolt".  Basically it's just a solid bolt that goes in place of the factory one on the proportiong valve(also remove the pintle and spring).  It allows the proper 70/30 braking and no more nose diving when braking hard. :cool:

Might be worth checking out.

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Brakes.htm

Yeah I was reading about that on the ImpalaSS forum, quick fix but big improvement.

Not sure how thing are gonna turn out yet, I ordered a kit from abs brakes, for the 68 impala.: front disk, rotors, master cylinder and disk/disk proportioning valve.

Hopefully it's all gonna work together. :biggrin: :biggrin:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top