LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a crazy ? I have a plan that involves polishing some aluminum to mirror like finish. I want to peotect it from the elements and not have to keep cleaning it.

Can I clear it and what steps to take to do the job right.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Won't work , the clear will not adhear well to polished alminum because the service is so smooth..........I have already tried this

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
ANODIZE

·
Registered
312 Posts
The only thing I've seen work is maintaining the surface with an aluminum polish and protectant. If it's a factory part they did not use the best quality of aluminum to hold a super polished finish but if it's a part you are having made, check to see how the different grades of aluminum will hold a shine. I had parts on my car that were originally anodized and they never looked nice at all but it did help to protect the aluminum and I opted to work on them every now and then but the shine will look so much better than the original anodizing.
I de-anodized parts for my car at home and I know after I polish them I will have to shine them up now and then. It's just one of those things that require periodic maintenance.
Jim

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my answer today when I went back to work. I asked 1 painted and he said yes I could clear it. If I used some sss adhesion promotor. It lays out a thin clear film and protects the metal, anything will stick to it and it will stick to the aluminum.

I asked the other painter and he said no it wouldn't work b/c alum. Is porous and the polish will make the clear bubble after a few weeks.

He said the onlu aluminum you can clear is a fresh machined part.

He told me zoop seal would be the best bet, but it hasn't been tested,tried and true.

I can't just keep polishing it b/c the project is a 35-40 tour style bus. The front,back,sides and top are all alum.

My plan was to polish it to a mirrorlike finish.
Then clear it with some blue ice pearl, then clear that and polish it to a nice shine.

Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my answer today when I went back to work. I asked 1 painted and he said yes I could clear it. If I used some sss adhesion promotor. It lays out a thin clear film and protects the metal, anything will stick to it and it will stick to the aluminum.

I asked the other painter and he said no it wouldn't work b/c alum. Is porous and the polish will make the clear bubble after a few weeks.

He said the onlu aluminum you can clear is a fresh machined part.

He told me zoop seal would be the best bet, but it hasn't been tested,tried and true.

I can't just keep polishing it b/c the project is a 35-40foot tour style bus. The front,back,sides and top are all alum.

My plan was to polish it to a mirrorlike finish.
Then clear it with some blue ice pearl, then clear that and polish it to a nice shine.

Thanks for the help though.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Originally posted by decifer@Sep 21 2005, 10:54 AM~3856882
Won't work , the clear will not adhear well to polished alminum because the service is so smooth..........I have already tried this
Nah thats not true Hot rodders do it all the time on engine parts. In fact if you go to Eastwood's website they will have it there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts