LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my homeboy saw a couple of cars at a picnic a couple weeks ago that were competing in the hop and were getting off pretty good i saw pics of the hop. now he told me that they had coil overs up front so has anyone ever seen or done this and if so how well did it work also does anyone have any pics of this kinda set up

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I'm in the proccess now of running front coil overs for my dancer. Most of the cars I have seen in the hops running coils over up front have been dancers. I'm trying to fitt a full stack 4.5 ton spring into my g-body. Wtithout having it sit high in the front. So I'm reconstucting the spring pockets and a-arms so vererything will fit and work properly.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool that was just the first time i had heard of a hopper having it done id like to some pics if any one has any im in the middle of building a hopper for a club member of mine and was just wondering if it was a big difference or not

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
it is a big differance cause you can use more spring and lay low, coil under gives you 3 or 4 '' of space . its easyer to lay low with coil over. you can also come up with deep drop cups too I did. the mazda got 4'' deep drop cups , so this way the cup goes right around powerball , sitting the spring right on the axle (layed out) My s-10 has the modified cylinder in the drawing , to lay low with a full stack. using a longer shaft than the case . Ill get pics soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by NastyRedz@Aug 17 2005, 09:31 AM~3641125
it is a big differance cause you can use more spring and lay low, coil under gives you 3 or 4 '' of space  . its easyer to lay low with coil over. you can also come up with deep drop cups too I did. the mazda got 4'' deep drop cups , so this way the cup goes right around powerball , sitting the spring right on the axle (layed out) My s-10 has the modified cylinder in the drawing , to lay low with a full stack. using a longer shaft than the case .  Ill get pics soon.
This is a good visual example of a coil over settup in general. However, The front presents other space and geometry problems that make it alot harder to do properly.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
yah i know what you mean . Its taking lots of patience to get this thing right

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
it will not make a difference to the height of the front of the car running coil over or coil under you still have the same size of coil and the thickness of the lip of the cup ,unless you made deep spring pockets in the frame for the coil to sit into ,personaly i feel it is a lot of work for no real gain it would work on a dancer with no motor etc but for a streetcar that you want to run a full stack in then i wouldnt bother

·
Registered
640 Posts
Do you get a lot of noise out of the cup coming down an the axle?

If not really because you don't hop the rear usually. Do you think that would be annoying when hopping the front?

Anyone have a pic of a front setup they would like to share...

:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by stevie d@Aug 19 2005, 07:35 PM~3658705
it will not make a difference to the height of the front of the car running coil over or coil under you still have the same size of coil and the thickness of the lip of the cup ,unless you made deep spring pockets in the frame for the coil to sit into ,personaly i feel it is a lot of work for no real gain it would work on a dancer with no motor etc but for a streetcar that you want to run a full stack in then i wouldnt bother

Thats why there are people like me. To just say fuck it and go for it. Iv'e already cut out the pockets and I'm in the middle reconstructing them. It is alot of work and your right. It's not worth while for a daily driver. But this car (I hope) will be a driver and dancer. At least until I start realy tearing it up. The point is Some of us like to experiment. This is something Iv'e been planning for a long time. So, it should go well. Its not for the average person thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
damn it ill have to get a better pic tomorow :angry: thats better :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 20 2005, 09:43 PM~3663644
the monitor here is fucked up but that looks like coil over in the front
looks that way to me

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
THATS JUST THE PIPE TEMPLATE. Im in the process of mocking this whole thing up. It will take some time to get this frame right ;)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Aug 21 2005, 03:31 PM~3666187
Hey, I used to have a jacket just like that with the reflectors :biggrin:
lol its actually covering up something!!!!

·
Member # 1,077
22,645 Posts
Originally posted by NastyRedz@Aug 20 2005, 11:30 PM~3663947
damn it ill have to get a better pic tomorow :angry:  thats better :biggrin:
thats crazy!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Aug 21 2005, 08:15 PM~3667360
Very similar to what I'm doing. I chose not to go past the shafts ont the arms with the pocket though. That would have required to many changes to the steering. Not to mention how the arms are mounted. Looking good though. Pain in the ass Huh? Sometimes I ask myself why I get into these kinda messes. But, it always ends up good in the end
It will turn out good 4 sure. Just like me im sure youll take your time so it looks and works perfect!
:thumbsup: The way i see it, bove the a arms is at least another 20'' or so. I will be able to put the biggest springs i can find in there!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts