LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can i do to my rear setup so i dont throw a sping. and no i really dont want to switch to coil over. i heard a little welding can help but i dont know where on the spring to weld, and what to. all help appreciated

·
Premium Member
34,391 Posts
I really suggest switching to coil over... When I first put in my four pump the rear was coil under and EVERY time I went to three wheel it the coild would come out... it's ot worth the time or aggravation to deal with that...

You can bring the car to me and I'll be happy to help you convert it over homie. Just pick up the needed parts.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks alot. that would be tight. i'm new to all of this so to speak to and work with some one who knows whats going on would be great. i supose i'll get every thing i need. how can i get ahold of u.

and oh ya and that caprice is frigen out of control.

·
Premium Member
34,391 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the caprice..

I''d suggest picking up some Powerballs and reverse cups.... also 12 inch cylinders are nice for coil over..that is if you don't have a chain bridge..

PM me you Phone # and I'll give you a call during the week.. ;)

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
somwhat related..........
years and years ago i had my first lifted car and i pulled 3's all the time. well once i shot my spring out, so i go back to install it and i had the spring under the cup but wouldnt go into place on the axle, so i have my father dump that rear so i can push up on it and slip it in to place, sure enough he hits the wrong way and it came smashing down on my finger pinchin it between the rear end and coil. i still have the scar. didnt hurt till like 3-4hrs later though. do yourself a favor and just get coil overs.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
yea coil over is definetly the better way to go. if u really want the coil under method, you could use some regular deep cups and welding a 2in pipe on your axle to hold the spring in place.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
2'' pipe? :uh:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by juggalo4life@Jul 23 2005, 06:52 PM
somwhat related..........
years and years ago i had my first  lifted car and i pulled 3's all the time. well once i shot my spring out, so i go back to install it and i had the spring under the cup but wouldnt go into place on the axle, so i have my father dump that rear so i can push up on it and slip it in to place, sure enough he hits the wrong way and it came smashing down on my finger  pinchin it between the rear end and coil. i still have the scar.  didnt hurt till like 3-4hrs later though.  do yourself a favor and just get coil overs.
[snapback]3465635[/snapback]​
ouch like a muthafucker....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Originally posted by BIGCRAIG@Jul 23 2005, 09:32 AM
what can i do to my rear setup so i dont throw a sping. and no i really dont want to switch to coil over. i heard a little welding can help but i dont know where on the spring to weld, and what to. all help appreciated
[snapback]3463946[/snapback]​
dont weld on on to your spring that makes it hella weaker, espeially with the stress that it goes through doing a 3 wheel motion

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Originally posted by NastyRedz@Jul 23 2005, 05:56 PM
2'' pipe? :uh:
[snapback]3466325[/snapback]​
yeh. not a 2" wide pipe, just 2" high.. i forget how wide it has to be. my friend has done it before, hasnt had a coil pop out after.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by layzeeboi@Jul 24 2005, 12:25 AM
yeh. not a 2" wide pipe, just 2" high.. i forget how wide it has to be. my friend has done it before, hasnt had a coil pop out after.
[snapback]3468045[/snapback]​
Yeah thats the way mine is done, and welding the cups to the coils doesnt make the spring that much weaker I didnt even notice a difference.

On another note,Nasty Redz, you dont like the pipe idea so how do you do coil under? The pipe idea is the only way Ive seen it done, I use bigger than a 2 inch pipe [diameter], but his way works fine.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
clamp them down to the spring perch,, 2'' lol i didnt think you meant diamater. I machine down a pipe that fits in that spring decent. Ive seen cups welded to the spring . that does make the spring weak at the top. closed coils help alot . if you made your own perches then you can drill and tap them to run bolts through them. to steel on the inside. but why go through all the work coil over is easyer...;......

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
coil under on my lincoln for 1 trip down the strip....went into a sharp corner when locked up and POP...rear pass side poped loose....so i said fuck that and bought powerballs....never had a problem since

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
my first lowrider (cutlass) was set up coil under. I was clownin around at a 7-11 store for some hotties , so i thought id show off so i pulled out of the parking lot turning onto main st. on a 3 wheel, a rear spring fell out , rolled down the road and a car hit it. so thank god no harm done. but very embarrasing . I was gettin clowned hard. ever since then , ive had coil over .

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im going to switch to coil over. so what do i need.
- i know i need showballs, and reverse deep cups, but do i need to get taller springs or anything.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
My first cars were coiled-over, they were built BEFORE powerballs ans showballs were available, so I used hyme joints. Needless to say they took alot of effort to set up.
My Coupe Deville has coil under and 14inch cylinders in the back, its never popped a coil out , and it stands 3 wheel.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
i drill a 7/16'' hole in the cylinder 5/8 up from the bottom. it isnt hard to set up at all. you just have to make sure your cylinder wont bind through all its travel with the rear. needs a 2'' hole so it will tip good.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
may be a dumb question...but is it possible for a spring to pop out just dropping a side?or it does it only pop out on most 3 wheel actions?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what am i looking at buying if i convert to coil overs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts