LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pics of them???? I'm really at a debate of which I should do. I won't be doing much hopping and have been told just to stick with a coil under. I need to know where they mount on the trailing arms and what the cups look like that hold the spring

Post pics if possible

L8

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by impala_631@Jan 5 2004, 02:40 PM
i like coil over way better but coil under could be ok for your situation, basically just weld 3" of pipe right where your spring mount is at ;)
the pipe goes through the center of the spring??????
Also, do I mount to the trailing arm or axle?........

Thanks in advance

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 1 LO 64+Jan 5 2004, 03:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 LO 64 @ Jan 5 2004, 03:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--impala_631@Jan 5 2004, 02:40 PM
i like coil over way better but coil under could be ok for your situation, basically just weld 3" of pipe right where your spring mount is at ;)

Thanks in advance[/b][/quote]
Pics would be nice.........

;) :cool:

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
somebody must have pics of this...............it would help me tremedously.........

L8

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** I am a fan of the coil over -- we converted anthonys regal to coil over & it reduces the risk o your spring shooting out & possibly leading to some damage ... You own a classic car & I would take it into consideration if you wanna run that risk... Impalas around here are spendy & are harder to come by .... I have coil over & I have done ALOT of 3 wheeling & hopping & have never had a problem .... Consider it ... How far are you to the border there -- maybe if we get some time & you have time to do an install , Me & nastyregal could swing up there & spend a night or so -- You guys have hotels right ??? I dont have my bus yet so , I dont know if I will be using that as a motorhome......

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
Originally posted by STREET SWEEPAZ@Jan 6 2004, 12:24 AM
*** I am a fan of the coil over -- we converted anthonys regal to coil over & it reduces the risk o your spring shooting out & possibly leading to some damage ... You own a classic car & I would take it into consideration if you wanna run that risk... Impalas around here are spendy & are harder to come by .... I have coil over & I have done ALOT of 3 wheeling & hopping & have never had a problem .... Consider it ... How far are you to the border there -- maybe if we get some time & you have time to do an install , Me & nastyregal could swing up there & spend a night or so -- You guys have hotels right ??? I dont have my bus yet so , I dont know if I will be using that as a motorhome......
yeah we could come up there and help you getting your car cut, just give me and bob a call, just pm me or him, and we'll hit you back, any other questions, pm me man :cool:

and coil-over is WAY BETTER, IVE HAD BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by BigNasty85Regal+Jan 6 2004, 02:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigNasty85Regal @ Jan 6 2004, 02:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--STREET SWEEPAZ@Jan 6 2004, 12:24 AM
yeah we could come up there and help you getting your car cut, just give me and bob a call, just pm me or him, and we'll hit you back, any other questions, pm me man :cool:

and coil-over is WAY BETTER, IVE HAD BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:[/b][/quote]
thanks for the offer from both of you......I have a furnished basement and if you don't want to kick it at my pad, there's hotels. I'll pay your gas money if it comes to that point. I think with a little bit of direction I can do it. I'm pretty straight on the front setup and pretty sure I know what the assembly should look like (Thanks to Bob's sketch), now I'm just debating the rears (Coil Under/Coil Over). Also, I'll need some guidance on how the plumbing/wiring should look for the solenoids and dumps when I get to that point! You both have been a tremendous help. I'll be starting the front install this weekend or at least the disassembly. I'm waiting on some 4 turn 2 ton coils that I'm getting!

L8

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:cool:

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
Originally posted by 1 LO 64+Jan 6 2004, 07:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 LO 64 @ Jan 6 2004, 07:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2004, 02:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--STREET SWEEPAZ
@Jan 6 2004, 12:24 AM

and coil-over is WAY BETTER, IVE HAD BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
thanks for the offer from both of you......I have a furnished basement and if you don't want to kick it at my pad, there's hotels. I'll pay your gas money if it comes to that point. I think with a little bit of direction I can do it. I'm pretty straight on the front setup and pretty sure I know what the assembly should look like (Thanks to Bob's sketch), now I'm just debating the rears (Coil Under/Coil Over). Also, I'll need some guidance on how the plumbing/wiring should look for the solenoids and dumps when I get to that point! You both have been a tremendous help. I'll be starting the front install this weekend or at least the disassembly. I'm waiting on some 4 turn 2 ton coils that I'm getting!

L8[/b][/quote]
well coil over is very easy to install in you car, weld the powerballs to your trailing arms, and add cylinder to that, with coil over cups or a doughnut, and have the spring sit on that ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
* If you dont have powerballs you can get a set of rod ends that swivel --- I have those in my car now ...... I paid $23 each for mine but your would cost about $ 25 for both ......... I will draw up another sketch here .....

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by 1 LO 64+Jan 5 2004, 10:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 LO 64 @ Jan 5 2004, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--impala_631@Jan 5 2004, 02:40 PM

Thanks in advance[/b][/quote]
i had a 64 with coil unders back in 1992 and it was my dailydriver,
(2 pumps 4 dumps) never had one single problem with it.
(apart from that i boke it's frame ones) lol

however coilover is the safest way to go if you're 3 wheeling or hopping it.
i personally think coilunder looks MUCH better, it's the og way and i prefer that on daily driven cars that dont got much lift
but to each his own...
and as useal it's not what you do it's how you do it.

the og rearend on 60's impalas dont allow more than like 8"
of suspension travel at max with 4 wraps of 2 tons so you'll be cool with whatever you choose to go with (coilover/under).

and you'll need to notch out the bottomside of the frame so the driveshaft dont rub.
good luck and hit me up with a pm if there anything you need to know about the install...

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:cool:

·
Registered
379 Posts
You know what i found? Coil over setups allow the cylinder to move through the hole in the frame a hell of a lot more than a coil under. My cylinders like to move side to side in the hole and rub on the side of the holes. And they squeek like crazy. I grease them and everything,But My first ride was a coil under and the cup would fall out of the spring doin a 3 wheel. You know what I did. I welded a flat square 6''x6'' plate on the axle. then a 4" pipe in the center . Then I ran a flat bar through the inside of the spring across the pipe and welded it to the plate then on the top I just ran a bar through the spring and welded it to the outside of the cup so the bottom part of the spring still tipped alittle side to side but nothin like a power ball or a hymes joint. ;)

·
49,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by carvr2@Jan 7 2004, 05:42 PM
You know what i found? Coil over setups allow the cylinder to move through the hole in the frame a hell of a lot more than a coil under. My cylinders like to move side to side in the hole and rub on the side of the holes. And they squeek like crazy. I grease them and everything,But My first ride was a coil under and the cup would fall out of the spring doin a 3 wheel. You know what I did. I welded a flat square 6''x6'' plate on the axle. then a 4" pipe in the center . Then I ran a flat bar through the inside of the spring across the pipe and welded it to the plate then on the top I just ran a bar through the spring and welded it to the outside of the cup so the bottom part of the spring still tipped alittle side to side but nothin like a power ball or a hymes joint. ;)
that sounds cool...........is it possible to get pics of it?

L8

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Originally posted by carvr2@Jan 7 2004, 10:42 PM
no offense but that must have looked fuckin ugly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts