LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im doing my own hydros on my 63 and i just put in some 3 ton hopping coils from black magic and they dont seem to ft right in the lower sprng pocket.and the cylinder seems to be off line a little.i know the coils lean towards the engine somewhat but it all just doesnt seem to line up right? coils are cut to 4 turns.ive lifted a couple cars of mine before but only the rear so this is my first attempt at the front,can some one help a rider out please.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by antbeezy14@Dec 10 2008, 03:01 AM~12387187
im doing my own hydros on my 63 and i just put in some 3 ton hopping coils from black magic and they dont seem to ft right in the lower sprng pocket.and the cylinder seems to be off line a little.i know the coils lean towards the engine somewhat but it all just doesnt seem to line up right? coils are cut to 4 turns.ive lifted a couple cars of mine before but only the rear so this is my first attempt at the front,can some one help a rider out please.

its just how they sit in there. i believe ron says he makes a 3 or 31/2 ton coil that is specifically designed to fit inside of the lower spring pocket of the early 60's impala.... the coil diamter is smaller than the coil that youd put in a big body car or g bodies.......if the cylinder leans in you can do what we like to do on our cars and thats weld a piece of pipe ontop of the tower or u can recess it inside the tower and that will keep the cylinder from leaning... unless you cut the front cylinder hole too far over... if so then using the pipe would work to ur benefit cuz u can weld that in the hole where u want the cylinder to line up at and plate over the open space....if theres something we can help you with, let me know we are located in modesto, ca...

or another option is to recess the spring pocket and open it up to fit the larger diameter coil and angle the pocket.... that angle in the pocket will keep the coil straight as well as hold it inside.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those are supposed to be the springs i got.the whole setup is black magic. i have about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance from the control arm bar so i think the hole location is cool. ill try to take a pic to show you.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by antbeezy14@Dec 10 2008, 03:40 PM~12391204
you mean on the engine side of the control arm bar?
you can heat up the cross bar and bend it.. but if ur lookin at it from the side of the car by the tire you should see cylinder then the bar behind it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea so i do got it right. thanx bro. some one told me to put the cut side in the spring pocket but i got mine to line up with flat side in the pocket

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
When you were cutting the hole in the frame for the cylinder did you use the hole that holds the shock...because if you did then the cylinder is not going to sit correctly...and the bar that runs across on the a-arm is going to hit the cylinder...

·
Registered
795 Posts
is this the correct way to do it
Originally posted by 1 LO 64@Jan 22 2004, 10:08 AM~1550509
After removing the old coils and shocks I marked the holes that needed to be drilled to accomodate the new cylinders.

BEFORE - You'll notice that the hole is offeset to the outer portion of the car and towards the rear of the car. This is to get it as far away from the upper control arm bar as possible.

AFTER

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
we need bigger pics and at different agles and put the cylinder in with the spring and take pics as well so we can help you out here homie....

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by antbeezy14@Dec 14 2008, 04:13 PM~12428112
yes that is correct, and exactly how i did mine. finally got everything to fit right

glad everything worked out homie

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes me too! the back was no problem but im still wondering if im going to need a slip yoke with only 10s in the rear. im waiting on a wishbone for the rear alsocuz i noticed with the back up the dr. side is like 1/2 from the front of the rear fender.now im contemplating on my rack...wether to weld it to the top of the frame like 1lo64 did or to the side of the frame.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by antbeezy14@Dec 14 2008, 04:56 PM~12428289
yes me too! the back was no problem but im still wondering if im going to need a slip yoke with only 10s in the rear. im waiting on a wishbone for the rear alsocuz i noticed with the back up the dr. side is like 1/2 from the front of the rear fender.now im contemplating on my rack...wether to weld it to the top of the frame like 1lo64 did or to the side of the frame.
top of the frame or side of the frame works. although if u do it to the inside of the frame at a later time if u ever wish u can cut the welds out and remove the rack a whole lot easier then if u weld it on top of the frame...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts