LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got subwoofers, but when i put the subs in i didn't really have money for component speakers... but now i actually need them, because (my friends that have ridden with me back me up on this) you can hear the quality of the music isn't good at all coming out the stock speakers... so i'm thinking, can't i just get two 6x9s and two 4x6s, and put them in the place of the stock speakers, and won't they sound good? Obviously since they're still being run by the head unit (powered) and not by an external amp, they won't be able to get as LOUD, but they'll still have the quality, won't they?

Also, once i've got those four speakers hooked up, i was thinking of putting two tweeters (possibly four?) in the car, probably at the four corners of the headliner. how do tweeters work? how are they powered and where do they connect to on the head unit? (i don't have an external crossover)

Let me know, i'm very new to this aspect of car audio :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so what 6x9s would you recommend? they must be able to hit clean, and go pretty high, because they're got to "compete" with my subs ;)

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
componets sound way better

number one concern don't buy any thing that rated for over 18wRMS or so unless you've got an amp for them...

decks don't put out much at all

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can't i get ones rated higher, and run them off the Head Unit, and then later get an amp? they'll still sound much better than the stock speakers, even though they're underpowered, right?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth@Dec 3 2003, 08:25 PM
can't i get ones rated higher, and run them off the Head Unit, and then later get an amp? they'll still sound much better than the stock speakers, even though they're underpowered, right?
yeah but higher rated ones blow with just head unit powering them, no midbass or midrange at all, cheaper crappier ones will actaully put out some, sounds goofy huh?

better then stock? yeah, but probably less midbass and range

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Originally posted by Just2dvs@Dec 3 2003, 08:45 PM
I got the same concern with my Caddy. I want to replace the stocks but I'm not going to run a sub so I need something that has a nice full sound.

DVS
how about 3 way, 8s in the doors, 6.5-4 and a tweeter in the kicks? of course powered by amp

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by CastAwayWilson+Dec 3 2003, 07:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CastAwayWilson @ Dec 3 2003, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Stealth@Dec 3 2003, 08:25 PM
can't i get ones rated higher, and run them off the Head Unit, and then later get an amp?  they'll still sound much better than the stock speakers, even though they're underpowered, right?
yeah but higher rated ones blow with just head unit powering them, no midbass or midrange at all, cheaper crappier ones will actaully put out some, sounds goofy huh?

better then stock? yeah, but probably less midbass and range[/b][/quote]
OK CastAwayWilson, so what do you recommend i get? Any suggestions? (i'm open to any!)

remember that in the future i'm going to have an external amp for the mids and highs, and i'll probably want to put some more speakers in the doors or somewhere, but for now i just want them to run off the head unit and sound good :)q

1 - 9 of 9 Posts