LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was playing around with my car... but the motor just died..... (I think its the motor)

I was told by someone that I could put "any" convertable motor inside my car and it would work....

Is that true or do I need to buy the exact motor for it to work?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
what kind of car??? is it a caddy? some use motors and some use pumps!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Did you blow your motor racer boy???

You can put any motor you want in there. Now depending on the size you want is a different story. The same size motor will fit right where the other motor onced rested and should retain originallity, no problem. if you've ever seen the front end of a frame, especially where the motor mounts are, you'll notice a bunch of holes there. Those hole patterns are arranged specifically for either a small motor (V6) or a larger motor(V8). However, if you decided to "Go Big" with a big block, a custom mount would have to be fabricated.
just a little FYI stuff.

later man-

What type of convertible do you have?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by Apache59@Nov 14 2003, 02:15 PM

You can put any motor you want in there. Now depending on the size you want is a different story. The same size motor will fit right where the other motor onced rested and should retain originallity, no problem. if you've ever seen the front end of a frame, especially where the motor mounts are, you'll notice a bunch of holes there. Those hole patterns are arranged specifically for either a small motor (V6) or a larger motor(V8). However, if you decided to "Go Big" with a big block, a custom mount would have to be fabricated.
just a little FYI stuff.

later man-

bro he is talking about the motor for the convertible top homie--not the engine.................. :uh: :uh:

·
Registered
70,997 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 14 2003, 02:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 14 2003, 02:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Apache59@Nov 14 2003, 02:15 PM

You can put any motor you want in there. Now depending on the size you want is a different story. The same size motor will fit right where the other motor onced rested and should retain originallity, no problem. if you've ever seen the front end of a frame, especially where the motor mounts are, you'll notice a bunch of holes there.  Those hole patterns are arranged specifically for either a small motor (V6) or a larger motor(V8). However, if you decided to "Go Big" with a  big block, a custom mount would have to be fabricated.
just a little FYI stuff.

later man-

bro he is talking about the motor for the convertible top homie--not the engine.................. :uh: :uh:[/b][/quote]
:twak: :twak: :twak: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Nov 14 2003, 03:03 PM
66 convertible deville coupe

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by badcaddy+Nov 14 2003, 04:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badcaddy @ Nov 14 2003, 04:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife@Nov 14 2003, 03:03 PM
66 convertible deville coupe[/b][/quote]
if you are sure that you have a motor and not a pump then any gm delco motor will work from around the same year cars----try your local junk yards or try convertibletops.com --------peace

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any way to know if its the pump or motor?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If it is a '66 Caddy then it is a pump. The 71-76 GM cars used an electric motor. Nice thing about the pumps are they used the same pump in the 90s Chrysler LeBaron convertibles, which are about a dime a dozen in the junkyards. But before you go changing a pump, you may want to investigate the top switch. They go bad too. And I believe there is a solenoid on or near the pump that could have also gone bad.

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Bypass everything and hook a battery directly to the pump to see if it spins. If you hear it spinning but no movement from the top, add fluid.

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
If your pump is bad, you can take it to a shop that repairs alternators and starters.... they will be able to fix it, may just be worn brushes inside, easy fix.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks much guys.... :cool:

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
yeah homie, lucky for you its a pump and not a motor, motors for a scissor tops don't come cheap and rarely find them in a junk yard...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts