LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find anything about this with the search. Hopefully I'm not the FNG pissing everyone off with the same old crap. So, here goes...

I've got a '99 'burban, DOA 20"s, dropped "6 on spindles, lowering coils up front, axle flip, c-notch & air assist in rear. It's actually a 4" drop but since it's a 1500 2x and not a 4x it's already 2" lower than all the usuall 4xs that the rest of the world owns.

My plans are to completely bag this rig out and lay frame, or as close to it as I can get and still drive it a couple times a month.

My biggest hang up right now is rims. I want to fill out my wheel wells but I'm having interferance with the front fenders. I'd love 24"s all around but will settle for a more realistic 22" in front and 24" at the back. Love the raked look anyway. Working with all the local rim and tire shops I've found I just have no offset selection with my 5 on 5 bolt pattern. I need about a +30 offset & 9" wide rim to get bigger rims in and I seem limited to +18s & 9.5"s at best. I could have just about anything I want if I had the 6 lug pattern from the 4xs. Or go supper pricey and have custom 3 piece wheels made.

Anyone ever convert a 1500 5 on 5 to the more common 6 lug? I figure an axle swap in the rear will fix the back, but the front hubs could be a problem for me. Should I find someone to weld and re-drill the existing hubs or is there a better way? The 6 lug gives me the whole world and I think will save me thousands if it can be done reasonably.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
Originally posted by ritch@Oct 6 2007, 11:32 AM~8943452
  I want to fill out my wheel wells but I'm having interferance with the front fenders. 

You could narrow your control arms like Paul did on his dually.

My friend clint just did it to his 98 Tahoe 2" each side

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Are shortened control arms a part swap like drop spindles or a complete custom cut and weld DIY? Can't find any for anything but extreme Jeep and 'Yota 4x4's on the web. Looks like a perfect solution though. I imagine I'd need shortened tie rods too. Maybe tie rods from a S10? How's the ride and driveability affected with this mod?

May have found another solution too. Someone pointed out my front rotors have the lugs on them, not on the hub like 4x models. They said I should look for a six bolt rotor but they couldn't remember which rig they think they might have come on. I can't find anything looking at rotors from Schucks using '99 chevys. Is there another year or vehicle I could look at that would have 6 lug rotors like my '99?

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Originally posted by Skim@Oct 7 2007, 02:39 AM~8946424

looks bad!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Originally posted by Skim@Oct 7 2007, 03:39 AM~8946424

Is that the truck with the Impala dash?

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
Originally posted by ritch@Oct 11 2007, 10:50 AM~8976785
Nice.  Are shortened control arms a part swap like drop spindles or a complete custom cut and weld DIY? 
he cut narrowed and reinforced the stock arms the way lowriders extend them, yeah thats the truck with the 61 dash.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Originally posted by Skim@Oct 12 2007, 11:09 PM~8990138
he cut narrowed and reinforced the stock arms the way lowriders extend them, yeah thats the truck with the 61 dash.

Man I remember when I seen this truck in lowrider I had to do a double take.
I seen the truck on the first page then flipped the page and seen the Impala interior and was like wtf theres a page missin. I thought it skipped from one feature to another. LOL :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
58,442 Posts
Yeah man, all the 61 switches on the dash work correct with the truck so its all like factory down to the inside door handles and arm rests. The outside door handles are from a new Infinity, he said they were a fuckin bitch to do. lol. We got pulled over for blasting the train horn infront of a bunch of people inline to get into a club that night when we stopped at a light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts