LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddys got a crack in the cone of one of his 12" kicker Comp VR.
What will this do. Its about 1" long up at the top near the surround.
He doent care but i would like to know whats going to happen.

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
not much really, if the crack is from side to side, it could get bigger. If it's straight down then not much, could loose some bass doe. :dunno:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its going pretty much up and down with a little angle to it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Best case: he will lose a little bass because of the air leak.

Worst case: it will distort the cone enough to shift the voice coil off-center causing a short.

Most likely: It will start to rattle enough so he will get fed up and replace it.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
do not put silicone on it....the fumes from silicone eat the surrounds up....

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Oct 12 2003, 10:20 PM
do not put silicone on it....the fumes from silicone eat the surrounds up....
no it won't. That might be true when building a box. You aren't supposed to load the subs right after you silicone it cuz of the fumes.

How would the fumes hurt it if it's open to the outside?? That's like saying "don't paint outside, cuz you'll breath in all the fumes."

I've had silicone on this sub for a LONG time, and i guess it's not hungry, cuz it didn't eat the surround. :uh:

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
yeah thats pretty funny because a friend of mine has 3 12'' w3's and had a dustcap break loose....the surround cracked a week after he siliconed the dustcap back on...might not hurt a santoprene surround but that foam shit gets ate up

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
aaaww man

sorry i thought this was about something else

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do the comps sound? can you hear a difference from before teh crack and now?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they sound good. we cant even tell a difference between the one good one and the bad one. But he got some free kicker grills from my buddy so you cant even see them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts