LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHEN DOIN PRESURE POINTS ONLY OR ONLY THA FRAME N ARMS
I CANT TAKE THE ENGINE OFF THATS WHY IM ASKIN

CAN I LIVE IT (CROSS MEMBER) NOT REINFORCED???

OR ONLY DOIN THE DOWN SIDE OF IT???
I MEAN UNDER IT

·
Registered
262 Posts
do the top side too.otherwise your motormounts will settle into the crossmember if you hop alot.
you will notice when your fan starts to hit the lower fanshroud, that it´s time to do the top.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
why cant you pull the engine....its not hard to do and will make your life alot easier

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Aug 22 2006, 12:12 PM~6017744
why cant you pull the engine....its not hard to do and will make your life alot easier
x2 ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Aug 22 2006, 06:12 PM~6017744
DOIN IT IN MY BACK YARD N I AINT GOT A CRANE

·
Premium Member
34,398 Posts
Originally posted by TAIB@Aug 22 2006, 02:53 PM~6018254

you could rent a cherry picker to hoist the engine?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
so you are saying the part where the motor mounts are at on the frame will push in? would stiffer mounts like poly eliminate the play from a 40 plus fall?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by buggsyjackrabbit@Aug 22 2006, 09:19 PM~6021025
so you are saying the part where the motor mounts are at on the frame will push in? would stiffer mounts like poly eliminate the play from a 40 plus fall?
no, it needs to be stronger where it is catching the weight at as well as the part holding the weight

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by sycl1@Aug 22 2006, 04:00 AM~6015925
do the top side too.otherwise your motormounts will settle into the crossmember if you hop alot.
you will notice when your fan starts to hit the lower fanshroud, that it´s time to do the top.

this is odd how many frames u wrapped ive seen alot of frames were they plate around the mounts..when i was a voluteer firefighter we had a car fall off a parking garage and the motor didnt fall in either ..so i dont know abput all that..the fan shrouds hit because people who are bad on the switch slam the core support on the ground
:uh:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
you can do the front and bottom and if you take the exhaust off you can get the back side but it's kind of a pain

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
the front. rear and bottom of the crossmember are most important. the strenth is in the front and rear and the bottom helps spread the impact when you bottom out. the top might eventually cave in from the weight of the motor, ive seen it happen mainly on lacs.

fan hitting the shroud comes from bad motor mounts, and too long of a driveshaft forceing the engine and trans forward and up when locked up.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Originally posted by ROCKSOLID84@Aug 23 2006, 11:43 PM~6029348
this is odd how many frames u wrapped ive seen alot of frames were they plate around the mounts..when i was a voluteer firefighter we had a car fall off a parking garage and the motor didnt fall in either ..so i dont know abput all that..the fan shrouds hit because people who are bad on the switch slam  the core support on the ground
:uh:

I know that on my cutty with a V8 that my motormounts went out from hopping and shit and my powersteering pump pulley was hitting my steering box. When I went to replace the mounts i couldnt even get the bolts out I had to cut them off because the bottom mount sank soo far into the crossmember. I had a hell of a time getting them back in. Coming back for spring break hopefully with a full wrap on this spare frame that I have.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
so dont do the top of the belly ? i beleive good mounts will prevent that or frequent replacement of them those tranny mounts too because once the go bad its like a big hammer hittin the frame

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
i dont see how you could completely weld a plate on the crossmember with the motor in place,the front is a pain cause of all the bends

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Originally posted by TAIB@Aug 22 2006, 01:53 PM~6018254
what up homie??? how many pumps and batterys are you going to run?? i know it must be hard over there, alot of pepes don't realize where you are from.. if your doing just a street car, get what you can, and when your done, buy another car and start from the frame up on that one.. sometimes it takes years to fully built a car in the states, so i can only image what it's like over there...but thats what i would do,, that way you can hit switches now, and still be building something new at the same time..

good luck
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts