LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother recently brought a 92 crown victoria (only paid 200) and it used to be a cab and has over 300,000 miles on it. when he first got it, it wouldnt start, but i think thats just because it hasnt been started in a while. now, every once in a while, it will start, but when you press the gas, the engine sounds like its going to stall out. i already changed his oil, oil filter, air filter, fan belt, and cleaned his spark plugs.
i know he should probally just het rid of it (because of the high miles), but i was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and what you did for it..

today, i got in, started it up, and held the gas and it stayed running but sounded real fucked up..

just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of problem and what you think he should do.....(besides junk the car :biggrin: )

thanks......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Without hearing it hard to really say, but I would guess either bad timing, spark or Fuel issues. I would check the timing first if you can and the spark (distributor cap, rotor, and wires), then turn my attention to the fuel (fuel pump pressure, choke, dirty injectors, fuel line and fuel filter). If all else fails run a compression test on it to make sure it has what it needs to even run. Hope this gets you headed in some kind of direction to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by radcaddy@Aug 5 2003, 11:42 PM
when you checked the plugs were some worse than others?? Maybe plug wires, cap, rotor
they all looked pretty much the same.. im going to re-gap them today, and if nothing changes, hes going to get new spark plugs.. thats what i think it is (spark plugs) , but i could be wrong.. well, ill try you guys ideas and hopefully they'll work!. :)

thanks again!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
It sounds like the muffler bearings are shot.

Just kidding.

Put it on a scope and that'll tell you what exactly is wrong with it. 300,000 miles is a ton of miles for an engine. Worst case, it might need a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
When something like that happens its time for a whole new engine rebuild, new sensors, new exhaust, new accessories(alt,ps,ac,...etc), and new computer. That way if you plan to keep it, it will be fresh again and you'll have no worries.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Aug 10 2003, 10:08 PM
When something like that happens its time for a whole new engine rebuild, new sensors, new exhaust, new accessories(alt,ps,ac,...etc), and new computer. That way if you plan to keep it, it will be fresh again and you'll have no worries.
yeah ill have to go with that, usually an engine with that many miles isnt gonna run right ne way, might be a timing chain(er even timing gears if its a taxi, least i think, im not 100percent sure) or might be time for a valve job if theres shitty compression, either way that engine needs to come outta that car, if a tune up didnt help than its sumthin else serous dont mean to give you the bad news, but id save up for a rebuild if i where you, the EMC should be fine.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Originally posted by fuwad85+Aug 11 2003, 12:07 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fuwad85 @ Aug 11 2003, 12:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--1LOWCHERO@Aug 10 2003, 10:08 PM
When something like that happens its time for a whole new engine rebuild, new sensors, new exhaust, new accessories(alt,ps,ac,...etc), and new computer.  That way if you plan to keep it, it will be fresh again and you'll have no worries.
yeah ill have to go with that, usually an engine with that many miles isnt gonna run right ne way, might be a timing chain(er even timing gears if its a taxi, least i think, im not 100percent sure) or might be time for a valve job if theres shitty compression, either way that engine needs to come outta that car, if a tune up didnt help than its sumthin else serous dont mean to give you the bad news, but id save up for a rebuild if i where you, the EMC should be fine.[/b][/quote]
I just said do it all that way there is nothing that you can question later on, thats all.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
changed the fuel pump and got it getting gas now, dosent seem like the car will be worth trying to save :( , but thanks for all you guys help :biggrin: (maybe next time he'll buy a car that runs ;) j/k, well, i guess now, all he has to do is figure out it he wants to get a new motor or get rid of the car... :dunno: :confused: ... decisions, decisions.....

well, thanks again..it was very appreciated :biggrin: ;) :thumbsup:

L

·
0 Posts
did u check the tranny my car souned like shit an wouldnt start half the time....... i had a 93 and a 94

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by concrete@Aug 16 2003, 04:24 PM
could be fuel pump or filter or regulator. It sounds like a gas issue though.
we already changed the fuel pump, so its probally something else with the gas line.. :dunno:

locrownvic-- what did you have to do to the tranny??... i guess ill be checking that next ;) .......

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by shredder130@Aug 18 2003, 09:28 PM
maybe wit that mileage the timing chain and cam but with 300k the rings and mainbearing are prob gone along with the valve seals.......i hear a rebuild
:uh: ....and thats exactly what he (my brother) wants to do, but he has to pay for college so i dont see him buying another engine (what he wants to do) anytime soon... :confused:

its pretty weird tho, when i took the air filter hose off (to spray starting fluid), the first time, i left it off and the engine kept running... and thats exactly what it does now (when the hose isnt attached...).. but when its attached, the engine will not idle, it just starts up and will shut off...

·
Registered
450 Posts
change the fuel filter

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Aug 16 2003, 07:57 PM~979497
we already changed the fuel pump, so its probally something else with the gas line.. :dunno:
Dude, could the TP sensor have an open? Pull the connector and hook an OHM meter up to it and see if it goes open or funky at the normal "cruise" pedal position.

Quit throwing parts at it.

300k miles. I bet it is worn out.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Originally posted by Str8BoucinT&M@Feb 27 2008, 09:52 AM~10041828
change the fuel filter
I never noticed the date. LOL

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Feb 27 2008, 03:54 PM~10043065
The posts are coming up all messed up for me in this thread too. :confused:
all of them or just the upper ones? the old ones always look funny..

oh yeah, the car has been gone for 3 years now..... oh how I miss that car.....

This post has been edited by biggeazy-e: Aug 23 2002, 12:59 PM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts