LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have added cups to my lower A-arms. When the Arms are extended downward - It appears that the springs hit on the lower arm where the spring sits... Would I be better off just filling these cups in or just welding a plate over them ??? I need to know if anyone out there who has experienced this or has any info about this ... Thanks, BOB_T

Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Oct 20 2003, 05:54 AM

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey bro i would just weld about a quarter inch thick plate over it makes springs have more solid bounce.After a while anyways if you dont your spring will start pushing through.Done it to three diferent cars all worked out pretty good.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*** My lower arms are wrapped with 1/4" steel so -- there wont be any springs pushing thru... I think i am gonna fill in about 1/2 of the cup & weld in a plate to... thanks for the reply tho.,,,BOB_T

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
i have never seen a car with extended spring pockets work right. all the ones i have worked on would bind up like you said.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
** They barely fit inside a 6" cup ....An 8" would work great i would say .. But i reinforced my arms & did the work before I bought the springs........ I am filling them in ....Why take chances ....

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
mine fits alright. To get the spring in I have to start it on the edge then put all the weight of the truck on the one arm and hit the spring towards the inside of the truck with a hammer. Once it drops in the cup it doesnt get binded up or anything. Its all built with a slight angle. The front can have a full spring put in no problem.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Originally posted by hydrota@Oct 22 2003, 08:20 PM
mine fits alright. To get the spring in I have to start it on the edge then put all the weight of the truck on the one arm and hit the spring towards the inside of the truck with a hammer. Once it drops in the cup it doesnt get binded up or anything. Its all built with a slight angle. The front can have a full spring put in no problem.

it doesnt look like your cups are too deep. i have seen some that hit the ground when the cars hop!

what springs are you using?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Originally posted by CP+Oct 22 2003, 08:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CP @ Oct 22 2003, 08:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--hydrota@Oct 22 2003, 08:20 PM
mine fits alright. To get the spring in I have to start it on the edge then put all the weight of the truck on the one arm and hit the spring towards the inside of the truck with a hammer. Once it drops in the cup it doesnt get binded up or anything. Its all built with a slight angle.  The front can have a full spring put in no problem.

it doesnt look like your cups are too deep. i have seen some that hit the ground when the cars hop!

what springs are you using?[/b][/quote]
The spring pocket is a inch deep on the outside edge and an inch and a 1/2 on the inside edge. Thats all it can be or it will hit the ground before the crossmember. The springs are black 4 and 1/2's from either showtime or morebounce, I am not sure.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Originally posted by hydrota+Oct 23 2003, 04:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hydrota @ Oct 23 2003, 04:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2003, 08:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--hydrota
@Oct 22 2003, 08:20 PM
mine fits alright. To get the spring in I have to start it on the edge then put all the weight of the truck on the one arm and hit the spring towards the inside of the truck with a hammer. Once it drops in the cup it doesnt get binded up or anything. Its all built with a slight angle.  The front can have a full spring put in no problem.

what springs are you using?
The spring pocket is a inch deep on the outside edge and an inch and a 1/2 on the inside edge. Thats all it can be or it will hit the ground before the crossmember. The springs are black 4 and 1/2's from either showtime or morebounce, I am not sure.[/b][/quote]
looks alot like mine. i would like to see the bottom.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*** My cups are longer than those ,,,,, Hold on ...I can posta pic later ..

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Originally posted by hydrota@Oct 23 2003, 10:54 PM
here is a pic of the bottom. its the only one I have but you can kinda see them.

they look nice how are they made ive been thinking about doing my lowers like this when i finaly do them ,is that done with a section of steel pipe if so what size is the pipe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts