LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should i use for the door panel backing? All the panels are flat except for two that have a sharp 30 degree angle to it.

heres a pic of the front inside, its kinda hard to see the angle the doorpanel hasto have.

And as you can see its gonna take quite a few yards to cover this beast.

What do you guys suggest on carpet padding and carpet. I want to just use normal auto carpet, nothin fancy for the floor. However where the original headliner used to go will be a mix of tweed and this other stuff.

Gimme some ideas guys

Last edited by LowLIfeVW at Jan 14 2004, 02:49 AM

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres another pic that shows better how the panel has to be curved.

Also notice that the og panel uses screws to hold it in. I want everything to be hidden, completely smooth. Would some 3m high strength velcro (hook n loop) strips do the job?

What else could i use?

·
Registered
719 Posts
You could possibly use regular push in door panel clips...Im not sure the technical name, but they are the things on GM and Ford door panels that look like screws, but plastic, they just press in the holes in your door panel. If you could find some the right size they would probably work pretty good for your door panel. Then just cover it however you prefer.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Here's a link you might find useful: http://www.triumphspitfire.com/clips.html

The metal wire clips might be easier to use. For the door panels I would use waterproof cardboard. The stuff is usually carried at any upholstery supply store that carries automotive fabric. They will also carry the clips too.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
never tried to make a door panel before.....what about just using two pieces of whatever your going to use for the rest of the panels and joining them together at that curve??...

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by AWSOM69@Jan 14 2004, 01:29 PM
Here's a link you might find useful: http://www.triumphspitfire.com/clips.html

The metal wire clips might be easier to use. For the door panels I would use waterproof cardboard. The stuff is usually carried at any upholstery supply store that carries automotive fabric. They will also carry the clips too.
you talkin about that waxey cardboard...didnt read your post when i put mine up but yeah that sounds like it would work

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Jan 14 2004, 11:44 AM
never tried to make a door panel before.....what about just using two pieces of whatever your going to use for the rest of the panels and joining them together at that curve??...
if you have a store that sells wood home depot ,lowes or 84 lumber they sell real thin wood that can be used as door panel i did this with my old truck works fine.door skin might be the name of it. soak the wood for an hour then use screws to get the curve pattern. do this before you puit on material.let sit for a day to dry will bo back in place.the water lets you bend with out breaking.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Here's my .02.

What about making a fiberglass mold of the door. When it dries it will have the curve in it. Then you can cover the fiberglass (with whatever material you'll be using) and re-attach it do the door.

Hope that helps.

Later
TC

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would like to glas it but ive never done it before. It might be an option later as i want to do some custom glass or carbon bumpers. I was also thinking about using a thin aluminum sheet for the door panel with hidden clips then covering it.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Originally posted by LowLIfeVW@Jan 15 2004, 01:11 AM
i would like to glas it but ive never done it before. It might be an option later as i want to do some custom glass or carbon bumpers. I was also thinking about using a thin aluminum sheet for the door panel with hidden clips then covering it.
Aluminum will work too. The curve in the door won't be a problem for cardboard or aluminum. Just have to add a crease. Why not use the old door panel? The holes where the screws are can be used for whatever clips you decide to use. A thin layer of cardboard can hide the holes and be the base for your new material.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think you would like the vw van at Sal's shop. It was shortened. I think it was a vw van/truck that they took a section out. I think it looks cool.

·
Registered
166 Posts
heres a good way to do it take you old door panel lay fiberglass over the whole thing then put it up to the door have someone hold it mark where you want the clips to be then drill a 1/4 inch hole where the clips are gonna go the you take the clips and put them into the door panel then you fiberglass over the whole door panel again let it dry bond sand ppaint or wrap whatever you want to do then just pop the clips in and the fiberglass will hold them in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts