LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple years back i was in Saginaw Michigan at a car show and i seen a guy that had a booth set up where he would groove a stripe in the sidewall of a tire, and then fill it with what ever color paint you wanted. it was an easy and cheap way to get that Vogue look on whatever sized tire you already had....OR get a white wall when you didnt have one before.. My question is, does anyone know of a place that does that in Michigan? or what the machine was called that he was using?

i looked around on google and couldnt find anything. maybe in searching wrong because i dont know exactly what to search for. any help would be appriciated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've seen people grindin sidewalls down to expose the white inner layer which is all around beneath the black rubber on those white lettered tires you know, BF Goodrich 'n stuff.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
yeah theres probably enough 'flesh' to do the trick with a white wall/letter tire, but a regular tire isnt that thick.

best way would be to create a rig for your grinder to grind in a exact radius just around the original white wall i think

·
57 RAG
30,659 Posts
Originally posted by Flowrider@Sep 23 2007, 05:09 PM~8853861
yeah theres probably enough 'flesh' to do the trick with a white wall/letter tire, but a regular tire isnt that thick.

best way would be to create a rig for your grinder to grind in a exact radius just around the original white wall i think
isn't that what he said it could only be done on a white wall or white letter tire?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i seen that link while i was searchin around. what im lookin for is a grider that is stationary, while the wheel is attached to a motor (kinda like a wheel balancing machine but a slower revolution) and the grinder gets placed on the tire to grove out a strip. then a sponge wheel with paint on it i guess...gets put on the same spot while the wheel is turning so it makes a perfect white/yellow or whatever color you want strip.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
i gave it a try this morning with an old general XP tire, turned out pretty good
first i used a grinding disk which is a little to rough on the rubber, then i tried a 80 grid sanding disk (with the flaps) which is perfect

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Originally posted by Fahm Joiner@Oct 2 2007, 04:15 PM~8917724
still noone knows what im talkin bout? :)
I kno exactly what you talkin bout. But dont know where to go now. Bout 10yrs ago my buddy had a shop had a 13 fake Vogue hangin up. I got him to order me a 15. Back then he say it came outta Chicago but now he dont know or remembr.
It was cool tho had the whitewall shaved just didnt go to the lip of the rim like the real deals. It had the gold stripe cut in also.
It was good back then cause the Vogues wasnt as popular here back then so most couldnt tell the difference.

Now where I live now you can get whitewalls shaved or white letters shaved to white walls. It all depends on brands how much white is behind the blackwalls.
They use a machine and the part that shaves the tire looks like a honeing deal for honeing cylinders on an engine.
I bet for doin the stripe you can rig up a spindle for the rim and tire. Hook up a mount for a dremel wth a small grindin bit. Push it up against the tire and spin. Hmm I may have to try it. :biggrin: ;)

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
i used to buy buffed whites and 'vogue' style buffed 155 80 13's and 175 70/75 14's from roberts tire in denver back in the mid 90's. i believe robert and his brother fino's customs in denver are still around. those 2 are some og cats that been around forever. google they ass.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I NEED TO FIND A SHOP IN AZ AREA PREFFEREABLY MESA, PHX AREA

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
ive seen red white walls on 64 impala, there called "ovals"

·
Phoenix Chapter President
6,456 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Jul 17 2008, 02:05 AM~11109622
I NEED TO FIND A SHOP IN AZ AREA PREFFEREABLY MESA, PHX AREA
Get at me homie I know someone that can cut vogues and Wide's if needed.............Phoenix Location.....

·
Phoenix Chapter President
6,456 Posts
Originally posted by green ice@Jul 17 2008, 03:39 PM~11114164
ive seen red white walls on 64 impala, there called "ovals"
No, Its actually called "Vinyl paint" as far as I know............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts