LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard that if your cut coil springs they have a tendancy to split on the end that you cut i am getting ready to buy an 87 caprice and i wanna lower it any help or suggestions would be great

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i wanna put hydros on the bitch but i dont got the money yet i just wanted to lower it til then i know how to lower the rear but i dont wanna go out and buy airbags and then few months down the road get hydros anonther thing i heard it is safer to heat them up and make 'em shrink but i don't know how to get both side even if i did that

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
heat them just use best judgement on getting them even...they wont fall you push them down to where u want them...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks bro much apreciation what would you recomend to heat em a torch or??? and if i use a torch how do i heat the whole spring evenly so i dont have half the spring compressed and half of it streched

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
DEFINATELY NEGATIVE ON HEATING !!!!!!!!

do not heat them, trust me. it is gonna be real hard to even out both sides plus
you can never be sure how low the car is gonna go and handling is gonna be one
REAL BITCH !

on all the cars I've owned sofar, cutting was the best option next to dros cause
there never were any drop kits availabe.

just take em out, cut em like 2 or 2 1/2 windings or how ever low you want the
car to be. only thing negative - don't use your car like a race-car afterwards
cause of course it wont handle in sharp corners like it would with a lowering kit

but trust me, I used it on old Mercedes, new cars and american classics

ends did never start to split and it was all nice all low all the time ;)

:cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for the help i think i know wut ima do now cuttin is the way to go thanx again

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
we heated the ones to my old el camino but yea i heard its not good to heat them shit i say go get an extra set at the junk yard and try heatin those then install them ones instead so you could always have at least your originals right?

·
Asspirating Poster
3,677 Posts
If you're gonna put hydros in, you'll probably end up replacing the springs anyway, so just cut 'em.

I would either go adjustable or nothing, myself. Especially on a Caprice. My friend had one and he put 13s on it and it scraped all the time even without modifying the springs.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just cut a little until it sits like you want it. Its always easier to take a little more off and it will go quick.

Start off with 1 full coil or something to judge the difference it made.

I found that half a coil is good for about 2 inches.

A couple buddies both took about 1 and a 1/2 coils off and they sit pretty good and are still very streetable. a caddy and a s10

Then do the other side the same.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In alignment issues cutting coils does the same thing lowering coils do. say you get 3"drop out of cut coils and 3" drop out lowering springs its still gonna align the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts