LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant afford no damn plasma and the torches are so inconvienent
and
i know they make special rods so you can cut metal with a regular arc welder.
i was just curious if anyone has used them and what their opinion is.
i just ordered them so i will let you all know what i think of them when they get here.

·
DODGING ROAD KILL
11,710 Posts
how thick are you planning to cut ??

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It will cut steel, but you will have lots of clean up. Usually leaves the edges real rough.

Try it on scrap first.

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Originally posted by GRINGO_CONNECT@Oct 24 2007, 10:48 AM~9072238
i cant afford no damn plasma and the torches are so inconvienent
and
i know they make special rods so you can cut metal with a regular arc welder.
i was just curious if anyone has used them and what their opinion is.
i just ordered them so i will let you all know what i think of them when they get here.
Buy a set of torches. They are the single best investment you can make. They can be used for so many different jobs you can't go wrong. Your going to need to heat some metal when you do your frame wrap to form the plate to match your frame anyways so keep that in mind. Even with my powered C clamp I still need to heat some pieces to get a proper fit.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Oct 24 2007, 11:05 PM~9077233
Buy a set of torches. They are the single best investment you can make. They can be used for so many different jobs you can't go wrong. Your going to need to heat some metal when you do your frame wrap to form the plate to match your frame anyways so keep that in mind. Even with my powered C clamp I still need to heat some pieces to get a proper fit.
yeah i got a set of torches ,but i was just curious more than anything.
so do you have some templates for my frame :biggrin:
thanx for the input homie!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Oct 24 2007, 08:05 PM~9077233

thats odd, i used no heat to bend my steel just brute force, yours must have been alot thicker than mine, i only used 5mm plate though, a plasma would have been a real handy tool for the kickups though. :cool:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
yeah we used to cut metal with 440 welders, failry clean cut on 3/8", gotta watch the tips though...

U can get a 40-60 amp plasma cutter shipped for about 300-600 bucks on ebay. they are cheapo, but have a warranty and better specs than alot of the Hobarts,etc I've seen!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know it sounds stupid but im not gonna invest in a plasma yet.
im gonna have a buddy cut most of my parts with a plasma but then im gonna have to do some cutting while im going along so i figured ill use the torches for that.
but im gonna wrap this frame the old fashioned way,with and arc welder and a set of torches :eek:hno:

·
Lowrider
4,144 Posts
Originally posted by GRINGO_CONNECT@Oct 25 2007, 11:11 AM~9081028
i know it sounds stupid but im not gonna invest in a plasma yet.
im gonna have a buddy cut most of my parts with a plasma but then im gonna have to do some cutting while im going along so i figured ill use the torches for that.
but im gonna wrap this frame the old fashioned way,with and arc welder and a set of torches  :eek:hno:
i have to torch and i still cut most of my steel with just a grinder and some cut off blades some times i do have my homie cut some stuff with his plasma just if i need alot cut fast. other wise just me and my trusty grinder and i try to bend most of my steel with no heat aswell.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by klownin04@Oct 25 2007, 01:19 PM~9081090
i have to torch and i still cut most of my steel with just a grinder and some cut off blades some times i do have my homie cut some stuff with his plasma just if i need alot cut fast. other wise just me and my trusty grinder and i try to bend most of my steel with no heat aswell.
imagine a frame wrap with only a grinder to cut the plate :0

·
Lowrider
4,144 Posts
Originally posted by GRINGO_CONNECT@Oct 25 2007, 11:27 AM~9081130
i did more then half my frame like that before i got ahold of a torch. LOL its not that bad if u get good blades

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx homie ,i just may make a topic!

·
Registered
733 Posts
cutting rods may do or gowging rods (but i think u have to have some type of compressed air,same with the magnesium rods)just by a torch

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by GRINGO_CONNECT@Oct 25 2007, 10:27 AM~9081130

not that hard... when you dont have a plasma. I had 2 peices cut for mine everything else i did with a 240v 4.5 Bosch grinder and 1mm slicing disks :) It lasted for three cars and only died recently, god i'll miss her.... :tears:

but i've got a new grinder now :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Originally posted by Unity_Jon@Oct 25 2007, 07:00 AM~9079885
thats odd, i used no heat to bend my steel just brute force, yours must have been alot thicker than mine, i only used 5mm plate though, a plasma would have been a real handy tool for the kickups though. :cool:
i used no heat either, just a big ass hammer and some ear protectiion lol! and then the c-clamp of course

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by silver64@Oct 25 2007, 06:43 PM~9083648
i used no heat either, just a big ass hammer and some ear protectiion lol! and then the c-clamp of course

ooooh of course :yes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts