LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install my new chrome valve covers on my 86 regal with 307 V8 engine. The problem i have run into is finding valve cover gaskets that cover the 3 holes on the valve cover that aren't used on my engine.

To explain a little better: The original valve cover is only held on by two bolts towards the middle of the cover. The new cover(correct part) has 5 holes on the top, so the 2 end holes and 1 in the center allow you to see into the rocker area with it all installed. So i'm looking for a place or part # or vehicle to reference to get the gaskets that don't have these 3 extra holes in them.

Did buick/oldsmobile use 2 different heads that made fo this setup?

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
well after 85 they used different head

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, which is why i figured they'd give me the right gasket since i have an 86. So you think i have the gasket that works for up to 85" then?

H

·
0 Posts
first off there should be more than 2 bolts holding down the cover something is screwed up

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by hosscutlass@Sep 6 2005, 06:08 PM~3764710
first off there should be more than 2 bolts holding down the cover something is screwed up
There's two nuts on top and 3 small bolts on bottom for each stock valve cover. That's all the holes it has in in the head also.

I tried advance auto and autozone again today and had them look up different year regals and oldsmobile to see if i could get the right one and no luck. I even called summit(got the new chrome covers from them) and they gave me the same part # for the gaskets i just returned that won't work.

here's my problem: where the studs are on the head where i attach the valve covers with nuts or bolts. but the only gaskets i can find also have holes on the ends and the center while will lead to loss of oil if i install that way and run it like that, so where the arrows are are the only places i need holes in the gasket.

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuck it, summit send me the "right" gaskets free of charge and overnighted them, however, they also have 10 holes in them. I'm just going to put the gaskets and covers with 10 holes on one side and see if it spits oil anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts