LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an amt 1970 impala at walmart the other night and bought sum grape pearl enamel from testors for it...i got done spraying the car, laid down sum decals and then threw down a couple coats of clear, i was glad to say that i was pretty much done with my build when i lookd down at the car and see what looks like the clear coat is like pealing or cracking the paint i sprayed, anyway i have no idea what happened...the car is still smooth feeling though. i was wondering if wet sanding and washing it would take care of the problem, although i havent done it yet...if anyone knows why it happened or has an idea i could use sum tips or advice

thanks, charles

p.s. i would put pics up but im not on my computer and this one sucks really bad

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Originally posted by lowrid3r@Sep 12 2006, 03:24 PM~6156935
sounds like you sprayed laqucer over enamel thats a  :nono:

just wanted to say that i used laquer clears over my enamels and get glassy paint jobs!

sounds like the enamel might not have been cured or the clear coats were too "heavy" on the first couple passes.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Originally posted by awbcrazy@Sep 12 2006, 01:13 PM~6157147
just wanted to say that i used laquer clears over my enamels and get glassy paint jobs!

sounds like the enamel might not have been cured or the clear coats were too "heavy" on the first couple passes.
just wanted to say that i also used laquer clear over enamel and it wrinkled up

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i used enamel clear coat over enamel paint and waited about 2 days before i cleard it cuz ur supposed to wait 24 hours after layin down decals before clearing and i let the car dry a day before layin the decals

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Originally posted by lowrid3r@Sep 12 2006, 01:24 PM~6156935
sounds like you sprayed laqucer over enamel thats a  :nono:
yep, better get that sand paper out

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Did you use Testors Gloss Clear or Testors High Gloss Clear.

Testors gloss clear = laquar
Testors High Gloss clear = enamal

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Originally posted by swanginbows@Sep 12 2006, 01:44 PM~6157349
i used enamel clear coat over enamel paint and waited about 2 days before i cleard it cuz ur supposed to wait 24 hours after layin down decals before clearing and i let the car dry a day before layin the decals
i read your first post over agian, and i had that happen to make a couple times dont know why it happens. your paint job cracked, you have to start all over its happened to me with testors clear and the walmart hok clear maybe its just cheap clear low quality try duplicolor spray cans from know on you can get them at almost any auto parts store

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
just in case some of you don't know. ..... laquers dry from the outside, in......
enamels dry from the inside, out.

i know that laquer clears will wrinkle up an enamel paint job if not done right.

first thing, you need to wait at least a week before handling an enamel painted body, unless you have a dehydrator.
if you plan to use laquers over enamels, it does work quite nicely if you "sneak" up on it. you can't just spray a wet coat over enamel with laquer, because it WILL wrinkle.
the best way is to "dust" the laquer over the enamel and let the "dust" dry for at least 3-4 coats of "dusted" on laquer. when you have "dusted" it all over and are confident that you have created a barrier between the enamel paint and the "new wet coats" you will be applying, THEN you can start with the wet coats. it is important that you create that "dusted" barrier between the paint and the clear.
the reason this works is because the laquer paint is too HOT to put it on wet right on top of enamel.....so let's pretend you "accidentaly" got overspray of laquer on enamel. it's not gonna do shit right? it's just gonna stick and create that barrier. if you do it so little for the first 3-4 coats , you will not burn the paint.

i hope this makes sense, because i like to repeat myself lol

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Originally posted by 91lacin@Sep 13 2006, 05:45 PM~6167340
so is house of kolors clear enamel or lacquer?it does not say on the can :dunno:
urethane :dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts