LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I don't know jack about wheels, so I'll be asking a lot of stupid questions. I’m very new to all this stuff, and hope some of you can help me out.

I'm looking into getting an old school caddy. I like the wire wheel style Daytons, I'm really digging that look.

I went to the Dayton website and they were selling Dayton’s and “Knock off” Daytons. Are “knock offs” made by another company?? If so, is the quality less or just as good?

I’m also seeing “knock off” adapters and center pieces.

Hope someone can shed some light on all this.

Thanks.

LM

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
so you want to roll with the hogz on them d'z huh?
well you talking daytons i'm the dayton expert on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as far as other companies making knockoffs yes there is some like l.a wire,player,mcleans,pinnacle,etc. but there quality is trash nobody in the world make a finer wire wheel then dayton!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by dayton roller@Sep 1 2003, 05:39 PM
well you talking daytons i'm the luxor expert on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

sorry I couldnt help it.

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
Originally posted by ogcaddy+Sep 1 2003, 08:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ogcaddy @ Sep 1 2003, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dayton roller@Sep 1 2003, 05:39 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

sorry I couldnt help it.[/b][/quote]
hahahahaha
god damn you ogcaddy you always fuckin with me about them luxors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
don't listen to that guy, his name needs to be changed to dayton nut rider instead of dayton roller. :0 hahaha, j\k. . Daytons are expensive and if your just starting out theres no need for them. Alot of people on here will swear by Mcleans. PM Homeboyz on here, he sells them and you can get a set shipped to your door for around $400, includes all hardware ie the adapters, spinners and the hammer or wrench depending on which knock off you need. if you need help, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, theres alot of really helpful people on here.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by dayton roller+Sep 1 2003, 05:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dayton roller @ Sep 1 2003, 05:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2003, 08:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--dayton roller
@Sep 1 2003, 05:39 PM

sorry I couldnt help it.
hahahahaha
god damn you ogcaddy you always fuckin with me about them luxors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
i just cant help myself, I am at work and I am extremely bored, I have scanned/edited/resized, and reformatted 100 decals today for our website, but only took 5 phone calls, I guess everyone thinks we are closed. :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
Originally posted by 83Coupe@Sep 1 2003, 08:47 PM
don't listen to that guy, his name needs to be changed to dayton nut rider instead of dayton roller. :0 hahaha, j\k. . Daytons are expensive and if your just starting out theres no need for them. Alot of people on here will swear by Mcleans. PM Homeboyz on here, he sells them and you can get a set shipped to your door for around $400, includes all hardware ie the adapters, spinners and the hammer or wrench depending on which knock off you need. if you need help, don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, theres alot of really helpful people on here.
damn it man his post says dayton knockoffs not mcleans so he's on the right track as far as rims.
take it from me man when it comes to wires daytons is the only ones you want.
yeah there expensive but if you want something bad enuff then you will find a way to get it.
i had luxors and l.a wires before biggest mistake of my life buying them shit's the rust on them thangs was a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
Originally posted by ogcaddy+Sep 1 2003, 08:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ogcaddy @ Sep 1 2003, 08:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -dayton [email protected] 1 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2003, 08:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--dayton roller
@Sep 1 2003, 05:39 PM

sorry I couldnt help it.

hahahahaha
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
i just cant help myself, I am at work and I am extremely bored, I have scanned/edited/resized, and reformatted 100 decals today for our website, but only took 5 phone calls, I guess everyone thinks we are closed. :angry: :angry: :angry:[/b][/quote]
business a little slow? :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Dayton's are expensive, but WTF, any type of quality is these days. I paid $2200 for my gold Daytons and would gladly do it again. There is nothing wrong with a cheap set of chinas, but when you pull up with chinas on your car next to a car with a REAL set of Daytons, you will see the difference immediately :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks for the info guys.

I was really concerned with the rusting issue. I take care of my cars and keep them for a long time. I didn't want to end up getting knock offs and ending up rusting.

So in general, the adaptor hooks up to the axel, and the rim hooks onto the adaptor?? What would happen if I was to get Dayton rims, but a knock off adaptor??? Is it a rusting or fitting issue?

Also, does Dayton have any kind of warrenty?

LM

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
First off I don't know jack about wheels, so I'll be asking a lot of stupid questions. I’m very new to all this stuff, and hope some of you can help me out.
The only stupid question is the one you dont ask. Welcome aboard

I'm looking into getting an old school caddy. I like the wire wheel style Daytons, I'm really digging that look.
Dayton is a namebrand, not a style or look.

I went to the Dayton website and they were selling Dayton’s and “Knock off” Daytons. Are “knock offs” made by another company?? If so, is the quality less or just as good?
there are 2 types of wire wheels, knock offs and bolt ons. bolt ons do as the name implies, and just bolt right to the car. Knock offs are a 3 piece wheel assembly, consisting of the adapter, the wheel, and the spinner (knock off)

I’m also seeing “knock off” adapters and center pieces.
see above statement

Hope someone can shed some light on all this.
I just tried to, hope it helps

Thanks.
anytime

LM
216RIDER

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just noticed your post. So a "knock off" doesn't mean it's a Dayton wanna-be, right?

Is there an advantage to knock offs and bolt ons?

LM

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
those are made by the Dayton Wire Wheel's as well but are a cheaper version of their original wires. they are no better than any of the other china-made brands of wire wheels. Original daytons have stainless steel spokes and the boulevard daytons do not, just a different line of wheels from teh same company.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by laurentkm2@Sep 1 2003, 03:20 PM
I just noticed your post. So a "knock off" doesn't mean it's a Dayton wanna-be, right?

Is there an advantage to knock offs and bolt ons?

LM
there are 2 types of wheels, knockoffs and bolt ons. bolts on are attached to the hub like any other wheel, with lugnuts. the other type, knockoffs, are attached with exactly that, a "knockoff". here is a diagram of a knockoff setup:

many lowriders prefer knockoffs as it gives a cleaner look, i'll let you be the judge though.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, so far I'm getting really good info. I leaning toward the knock off style rather than the bol ons. I want a lot of spokes.

I'm leading the different brands also.

For wire wheels (which is what I want)
We have:
Daytons
mcleans
Player Wire (I think someone said that they rust)

Any more?

LM

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
these are Mcleans, 100 spoke reverse offset, and they are knock off's.. see how much of the wheel is actual spokes. And you can see the chrome spinner (knock off) in the middle.

these are bolt ons.. see the big chrome cover in the middle??

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you get knock offs make sure to keep them tightened and avoid big pot holes

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Don't forget L.A. Wire as a good brand... ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts