LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyplace with the specs on how to install a typical airride system. Just wondered what I would be getting into if i tried to tackle it myself? What type of air line is used, hose v/s metal line? Also, if you did go with nitrogen, how would you hook up to the valves v/s a tank with 8 ports?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
it all depends on your experince and what type of car you got........like for me at first i would have to say that this was hard as hell because i am a 14 year old with a ford..........and there not the easiest to do anything to.......but after a few months of doing shit you get more confident and the difficulty level starts to go down like now its just anoying its not hard but just annoying

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you have something popular that they make a kit for then most of the hard work is done for you. At that point the hard part is finding a place to put your tanks, comps, valves, etc and doing all the wiring and plumbing.

My Mazda was my first bag job. It took me forever to figure out where to put the front brackets. I was paranoid about doing it wrong. It turned out real good though.

My Ram was another story. They don't make kits for a '93 Ram. It required a lot of test fitting and a little cutting.

For me the most time consuming part was the plumbing and wiring.

You'll be using DOT plastic line which is easy to cut and easy to get into the connectors.

I think that with Nitrogen you'd want to do a dual system. Have a tank and compressor in case your Nitrogen runs out. Pretty sure you can plumb the Nitrogen right to the air tank.

I think the air ride technologies web site has some install info on it

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
nice install job!

question for ya, the pictures showing the car doing sides, were they taken with shocks installed?

if so, I'd love to know the model # of the shock you used.

I'm also guessing the front swy bar was removed on that one too, huh?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 31 2003, 05:29 PM
nice install job!

question for ya, the pictures showing the car doing sides, were they taken with shocks installed?

The photos of the car doing sides were taken with both the shocks and sway bar on... and with low pressure (@100-125psi). For some reason those X-Frame chassis hit some nice sides; not to mention we placed the bags a little forward on the rear arms and the front bags were mounted above the lower A-arm spring cup pocket.

As far as the shocks... I don't remember the model we used on that car; it's been a while (1997). I know that we were using Toxic Shocks (brand name) during that time.

Normally we order the shocks after the bag install has been completed. We measure so that the shock can collapse and extend fully with the bag but not allow the suspension to hang on the bag if the vehicle is lifted off the ground for service or whatever.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by Envious Touch+Oct 31 2003, 05:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Envious Touch @ Oct 31 2003, 05:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--216RIDER@Oct 31 2003, 05:29 PM
nice install job!

The photos of the car doing sides were taken with both the shocks and sway bar on... and with low pressure (@100-125psi). For some reason those X-Frame chassis hit some nice sides; not to mention we placed the bags a little forward on the rear arms and the front bags were mounted above the lower A-arm spring cup pocket.

As far as the shocks... I don't remember the model we used on that car; it's been a while (1997). I know that we were using Toxic Shocks (brand name) during that time.

Normally we order the shocks after the bag install has been completed. We measure so that the shock can collapse and extend fully with the bag but not allow the suspension to hang on the bag if the vehicle is lifted off the ground for service or whatever.[/b][/quote]
Hey did you have to chift the inner fender on that 64, because I know there is not that much clearance between the frame and the inner behind the a-arm. I have the air ride front chock relocator kit and I need to find a place like that to hopefully make it fit.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Oct 31 2003, 07:58 PM

Hey did you have to chift the inner fender on that 64,  because I know there is not that much clearance between the frame and the inner behind the a-arm.  I have the air ride front chock relocator kit and I need to find a place like that to hopefully make it fit.
We fabricated that shock relocation piece to fit that application. The inner fender-well may have been pulled/bent out a little to clear the shock but not much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts