LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to put disc brakes on my impala ,62 and need to know what year of car to take a disc brake system off

Last edited by justbreakit at Dec 28 2003, 01:59 AM

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Originally posted by R3Koil@Dec 23 2003, 06:49 AM
To the best of my knowledge you can buy front end rebuilds kits.
WTF? :twak:

Theres a list floating around of the swap pieces, or you can just buy an aftermarket kit, thats what I did and it works great!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
you do know that shits expensive though and could cost ya up to a grand jus for parts, if i were u id jus get the brake system on it now rebuilt new pads rotors cylinders honed and have the master professinally rebuilt your all round rotor system should werk jus fine if properly maintenanced.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by fuwad85@Dec 23 2003, 06:24 PM
you do know that shits expensive though and could cost ya up to a grand jus for parts, if i were u id jus get the brake system on it now rebuilt new pads rotors cylinders honed and have the master professinally rebuilt your all round rotor system should werk jus fine if properly maintenanced.
WTF?

Will you PLEASE stop posting in MAintence and Repair? You obviously have no fucking clue what this guy wants to do. Its advice like this that keeps people out of the forum because they don't want some BS response. If you don't know what to do, STAY THE FUCK OUT of a topic.

First, his car has DRUMS in front. HE is asking what to use to convert it to a disc brake system.

Second, DRUM brakes have DRUMS and SHOES not pads. Rebuilding his system STILL MAKES IT A DRUM SYSTEM. He wants to convert it to DISC so that the car will STOP EASIER.

To answer your question:

I am in the same position with my 67 impala. There are a few options. The first is that if u want to use your same spindles, you can get a kit that will bolt on to them and convert it over.

The second is to use existing brake parts from stock vehicles. I'm not sure however, if you need to change your spindles or not. I need to find out for me.
I copied this from another forum:

Rotors, bearings and seals from any of these cars:
69-74 Nova
70-72 Monte Carlo
67-72 Chevelle
69-72 Grand prix
69-72 GTO
69-72 Skylark
69-72 Apollo
69-72 Grand Sport

Calipers from these cars:
75-76 Nova
73-76 Monte
73-76 Chevelle
73-76 Grand Prix
73-76 GTO
73-76 Tempest

Complete power brake/master cylinder/ valve set-up:
Any 11 inch 68-78 GM

Here's a link that might help out a bunch:

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat....true#Post548581

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0+Dec 23 2003, 05:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe5pt0 @ Dec 23 2003, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--fuwad85@Dec 23 2003, 06:24 PM
WTF?

Will you PLEASE stop posting in MAintence and Repair? You obviously have no fucking clue what this guy wants to do. Its advice like this that keeps people out of the forum because they don't want some BS response. If you don't know what to do, STAY THE FUCK OUT of a topic.

First, his car has DRUMS in front. HE is asking what to use to convert it to a disc brake system.

Second, DRUM brakes have DRUMS and SHOES not pads. Rebuilding his system STILL MAKES IT A DRUM SYSTEM. He wants to convert it to DISC so that the car will STOP EASIER.

To answer your question:

I am in the same position with my 67 impala. There are a few options. The first is that if u want to use your same spindles, you can get a kit that will bolt on to them and convert it over.

The second is to use existing brake parts from stock vehicles. I'm not sure however, if you need to change your spindles or not. I need to find out for me.
I copied this from another forum:

Rotors, bearings and seals from any of these cars:
69-74 Nova
70-72 Monte Carlo
67-72 Chevelle
69-72 Grand prix
69-72 GTO
69-72 Skylark
69-72 Apollo
69-72 Grand Sport

Calipers from these cars:
75-76 Nova
73-76 Monte
73-76 Chevelle
73-76 Grand Prix
73-76 GTO
73-76 Tempest

Complete power brake/master cylinder/ valve set-up:
Any 11 inch 68-78 GM

Here's a link that might help out a bunch:

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat....true#Post548581[/b][/quote]
to anwser your first question, NO, yes i do know what im talkn bout i said pad n stead of shoes woopdie doo, if i thought he was talkn bout disc brakes y would i have said cylinder sencond yes if you want to convert your old all round rotors to disc brakes ITS EXPENSIVE its not as easy as simply jus buying spindles, rotors n calipers and bearings you need a differnt master cylinder, perpotioning valve and different brake lines oh and bout the grand part yeah thats the only mistake i made i was think of all round disc brakes oops my bad, i was also asumming you were thinking of the conversion for better braking BUT GODFORBID I GIVE MY OPINION I FORGOT THIS WAS AMERICA.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
and i thought he wanted a brand new set not one off another car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts