LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a diagram article from pro hopper to shut off your setup they use the big rebuildable solenoid and a regular spst switch to shut it down all wired up to your switch box.....anyone out there doing this or have done this????....cause this would be good idea instead of running big gauge wire with cut off under your seat or running to the trunk to shut off set up if a solenoid sticks.....what's the good and bad on this???? thanx ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
not sure i quite follow this.............you could use a sol to cut off the power to your switch box but the purpose of a cut out is to cut off the high voltage from the batteries. if you use a "big rebuildable solenoid " for this it would HAVE to be 100% reliable or it would defeat the object
:)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My set-up uses this theory but the size of the solenoid doesn't really matter. Problem is, there aren't many solenoids out there that can handle a "Normally Closed" position. Most will burn out or weld themselves closed after a while, which will defeat the purpose of trying to use it as a quick-disconnect. I'm assuming that's why they said use a rebuilable, because you're gonna be rebuilding that thing quite a bit, especially if you do long trips.

Anyway... I have a regular solenoid (the best actually, S63P :) ) between my 1st and 2nd battery. Whenever I want to hit swiches, I click it on to link the two batt's. When I'm done, I turn it back off. Since it's only seing 12-volts, if left on too long (10-15 minutes), it will just disconnect itself and no longer close. Then you're stuck with having to jump it to get the juice flowing.
To counter that (because sometimes you DO forget) I actually have 2 solenoids wired parallel in that position. Therefore if I get to my destination after a long trip and look down to notice that I left that solenoid closed, I just hit another switch to activate the spare 'noid. And change the other whenever I get a chance. But like anything else, after doing if a few times, you tend to remember. :)

Last edited by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS at Oct 9 2003, 07:57 AM

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by HydroStangGT@Oct 9 2003, 03:26 PM
bouncin/ what all do you do with 8 dumps....you got any pics of your setup?????
Don't have pics of the set-up. Been meaning to take some, just been real busy. Eight dumps plumbed together basically gives you all the moves of a 4-pump set-up; total individual control of each corner.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by HydroStangGT@Oct 9 2003, 09:19 PM
damn im gonna have to do mine that way....how many switches do u have?
I don't have switches. I actually use a video game joystick and 8 momentary buttons as a back-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts