LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am running a Viair 450 compressor (and maybe a second one at a later date), along with an amplifier (about 250w RMS) for my stereo, would I need to upgrade my alternator and battery?

At what stage should I be thinking about an upgrade?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
First of all, I think you would want to upgrade the battery to a marine starting battery. Their reserve is a lot better than regular automotive batteries. Your car actually runs off the alternator while driving, with the battery as a back-up; while the alt also keeps the battery charged. The better the batt capacity, the less work the alt has to do. In that case, I would worry about the amp more than the compressor since the compressor is only on for short bursts. THEN, if you run into problems like headlight flicker at night, etc, I would go for upgraded alt next.

Of course, that's only if you don't want to do a second battery and isolator in the rear for the amp and compressor.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i run 2 450's and a 600watt and 2 180 wat amps plus ps2 plus tv, plus cellphone charger etc, same alternator from stock and stock battery too, all good in the hood for 2 years now....

·
Registered
856 Posts
im running a viair 550 and a 1000 watt ppi amp using a stock alternator and a red top battery. it all works fine. if you live in a area where it gets cold, or you have a high compression engine stay away from the marine battery because they dont have the cold cranking amps like normal automotive batteries do.but they can be discharged and recharged over and over with out any side effects.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice everyone! :cheesy:

Looks like I'll be okay to start with, then if things get stressed I'll go for an upgrade :cool:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
heres my original setup... back in June...

a 3/4HP Blowjax compressor, a group 31 battery controling everything that had to do with the air system..

8GA wire from the battery to the trunk, with a Stinger isolator..

never had a problem

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 216RIDER.

How was the second battery connected to the car's charging system? Did you use a device that shared the alternator's output to deal with both batteries, like they use in motorhomes with auxiliary batteries?

:)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean that he HAD to upgrade anything. But if so, I would START with installing a starting battery. Air is just like installing a stereo; you don't really need to upgrade shit. But as time goes on and equipment power increases, START with an upgraded batt and go from there.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem - I understood what you meant :cheesy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts