LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im sanding my truck down to bear metal and i was wondering if i need primer im only 16 and dont have that much money would primer in a can be alright to use?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i have no rust at all but im using an electrick sander and some spots are down to the metal and you can see is after i primerd the thing

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it is my project im just doing the body work right now i wanna paint my self but i dont have no materials no gun no nothing so im pretty much fuckedi spent like a good 150 dollars on sand paper lol ill post pics later

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
sorry to tell you this , but your FUCKED
cant believe you spent 150 on sandpaper
could of got a gallon of paint stripper and 2 quarts of epoxy primer/sealer for under 120. i know paintstripper is a bitch to work with but hey ,your 16.
and you stripped that puppy down with an electric sander ,WOW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stripper would have been the best way to go to get the car down to metal.. You might run into problems with now that the entire body has been SANDED down to metal. For instance, SURFACE RUST. If a your car is exposed to the elements after being sanded to metal rust will for very quickly.. Granted its just surface rust and not a big deal you will have to resand the entire car again, and again, until you at the very least get some sort of sealer on the car.

As far as not having money, You might want to figure out how to come up with some very fast or your car will become your worst nightmare. You will need tools (gun, compressor, ect.) and some sort of sealer or primer to seal the metal.

I am not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasem but you might want to research a bit more before diving into such a project.

IF and only IF the only route you have is Rattle Can Primer DO IT!!! it will at least seal the metal.. You can always go over it at a later date when you can get enough money together to do a proper job.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
i was thinkin the same thing.i want to sand my trunk down to the metal and use rattle can primer. do anyone think it would hold up for about 2 weeks to a month till i get the real deal? and also can i spray the primer over the rattle can too? :confused: :dunno:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by lamont@Jul 22 2005, 08:27 PM
i was thinkin the same thing.i want to sand my trunk down to the metal and use rattle can primer. do anyone think it would hold up for about 2 weeks to a month till i get the real deal? and also can i spray the primer over the rattle can too? :confused:  :dunno:
[snapback]3461784[/snapback]​
NO
dont use can primer it will rust in a week
put some shiny spray paint and that will last longer

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by lowridergod@Jul 21 2005, 11:50 AM
im sanding my truck down to bear metal and i was wondering if i need primer im only 16 and dont have that much money would primer in a can be alright to use?
[snapback]3448298[/snapback]​
can you pick up some epoxy primer and go to a tool rental place and rent a compressor and a spray gun ...properly sized for your primer...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no i didnt sand the whole thing down yet i just did one front fender and a small part of the hood but the previos owner of the blazer tryed doing the body would and i think he did it all wrong he welded sheet metal right over the rusted parts and now i dont no what to do the doors dont even line up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts