LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post this up to help some about polishing their own trim, it can be expensive, so do it yourself if you have the time! It is time consuming but worth it! The top pic is a picture of a scratched up weathered peice and a same peice sitting above it! The peice above it was sanded with 220 in one direction left to right long ways and warm water until it was all the way dull! (Do not sand in a circular motion cause this will leave swirls out the ass!) Sand left to right or up and down only! I sanded in the direction of the peice length only a 1/4 at a time then ran over the whole thing with long strokes of 220 grit and warm water! The peice on top is how it should look (dull)!

heres a lil info from another company

http://www.iversonautomotive.com/aluminum.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once its all sanded with 220 half the battle is over! Next repeat the same sanding method with warm water and 400, then 600, then 800, then 1000, 1200,1500, and last 2000! When finished with 2000 get some good aluminum polish and a soft rag and apply it on to the trim peice in a swift left to right motion following the lenthg your working on.! your rag will soon turn a dark blackish/gray film then take a clean cloth and wipe down gently! Check it out! This was done by hand! Bling Bling! Almost Chrome! So save your money and doit yourself p.s. if you have the time! :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
wow since u have the time can u do mine lol

thanks for the info i will try one day

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Bowtie Legacy@Mar 12 2006, 03:38 PM~5032525
wow since u have the time can u do mine lol

thanks for the info i will try one day
:biggrin:

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by montemanls@Mar 12 2006, 03:57 PM~5032642
the chrome shops sell "cicel" dont know how to spell iit put it on a buffer at 2200 rpms and saves alot time also :biggrin:  :cool:
yeah i have heard of it! do you have a pic of it? Theres all kinds of wheels and compounds for polishing!

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Originally posted by montemanls@Mar 12 2006, 02:57 PM~5032642
the chrome shops sell "cicel" dont know how to spell iit put it on a buffer at 2200 rpms and saves alot time also :biggrin:  :cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have been polishing things for my car and others through the years and have just a basic polisher, but it works. I also use some welding gloves as the parts can get real hot to try and hold.

If the chrome plate on a piece of trim is bubbled, then the part needs to be stripped and replated.

Jim

Attachments

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
i got the same thing, made from and old furnace blower motor, an adapter spindle, and a 5 dollar buffing wheel from home depot...

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
this is a cool topic and all but if you take off the anodizing with all those
different grits and compounds the shit won't keep looking that good, it'll dull.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by big caddy@Mar 12 2006, 02:27 PM~5032464
Once its all sanded with 220 half the battle is over! Next repeat the same sanding method with warm water and 400, then 600, then 800, then 1000, 1200,1500, and last 2000!  When finished with 2000 get some good aluminum polish and a soft rag and apply it on to the trim peice in a swift circular motion! your rag will soon turn a dark blackish/gray film then take a clean cloth and wipe down gently! Check it out!  This was done by hand!  Bling Bling!      Almost Chrome!    So save your money and doit yourself p.s. if you have the time! :biggrin:

Can you do all of this just by hand?Or do you have to have any special tools?

·
I AM A
11,410 Posts
So, are you going to keep cleaning that part over and over every month? You might consider using the Zoop Seal on it. They also make a clear for bare metal.

Oh and you could have used a costic acid to stip the anodizing off first. You would have had less sanding to do. ;)

·
Registered
18,390 Posts
Originally posted by warning@Mar 12 2006, 09:00 PM~5036762
this is a cool topic and all but if you take off the anodizing with all those
different grits and compounds the shit won't keep looking that good, it'll dull.
mines still blingin, and i drive it daily rain and all. hasnt dulled on me yet. when homie sands it with the 220, im sure the anodizinge is coming off. the cleaners 81 hustle mention takes it off and you dont have to deal with sanding... :dunno: im sure everyone has different ways to get to the same point ;)

1 - 20 of 744 Posts