LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks 2 the guys at GM :uh: my driver side quarter is a replacement im guessin it got hit, well it seems the guys at GM did such a great job sealin it that now the top seal and the bottom where the lights would go is rust..the right side is clean as fuck! not 1 drop of rust...just clean grey is all u see...the seam sealer looks like they slapped it on and i can even see holes goin out from the seal...so... im either thinking of grind it off, and puttin new sealer only there or sayin fuck it and take all th3e sealer off and cleanin it good... meanin takin the quarter off and the rear part both off cleanin them and then puttin them back togeather and seam sealer....

any ideas wha i should do?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by calvin@Jul 25 2003, 08:31 AM
thanks 2 the guys at GM :uh: my driver side quarter is a replacement im guessin it got hit, well it seems the guys at GM did such a great job sealin it that now the top seal and the bottom where the lights would go is rust..the right side is clean as fuck! not 1 drop of rust...just clean grey is all u see...the seam sealer looks like they slapped it on and i can even see holes goin out from the seal...so... im either thinking of grind it off, and puttin new sealer only there or sayin fuck it and take all th3e sealer off and cleanin it good... meanin takin the quarter off and the rear part both off cleanin them and then puttin them back togeather and seam sealer....

POST SOME PICS--LETS SEE HOW BAD THE RUST IS-----IF IT HAS EATEN THROUGH---YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO PATCH IT UP------IF IT IS TOO FAR GONE----YOU MIGHT NEED ANOTHER QUARTER----RUST NEVER STOPS IF YOU JUST LEAVE IT THERE----YOU HAVE TO TREAT IT AND STOP IT OR JUST CUT IT OUT..........LATES

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the whole panel is perfect... its just a lil rust on where they welded and shit...u can see they did a shit job..i mean shit im no where near a beginner and i can fuckin tell they did a shit job....the quarter goes up under the vinyl roof but when i removed it i could see the line of rust or surface rust ..that part i cleaned but shit now i just wanna take the thing off and clean it good

cant get pics but its not like rotted..just some rust...the biggies hole is like...1/8 inch...and theres like 2 maybe...but theres surface rust around it

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by calvin@Jul 25 2003, 10:39 AM
the whole panel is perfect... its just a lil rust on where they welded and shit...u can see they did a shit job..i mean shit im no where near a beginner and i can fuckin tell they did a shit job....the quarter goes up under the vinyl roof but when i removed it i could see the line of rust or surface rust ..that part i cleaned but shit now i just wanna take the thing off and clean it good

cant get pics but its not like rotted..just some rust...the biggies hole is like...1/8 inch...and theres like 2 maybe...but theres surface rust around it
SO YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT RUST ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE TOP OF THE QUARTER UNDER THE VINYL TOP---WHERE THE MOLDING GOES---------IF THAT IS RIGHT ---THEN THAT IS COMPLETELY "COMMON"-----FACTORY DIFFECT------LOTS OF CADDY'S GET RUST THERE---AS A MATTER OF FACT ALOT OF CARS W/ VINYL TOPS GET RUST THERE----THAT IS WHY I HATE VINYL TOPS----------- :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so wha do i do? lol i got my angle grinder with wire brush attatchment in my hands lol.... i had planned 2 hit the under side and top side and then the side of the roof wit it... after that primer it and put the seam sealer and put some more sealer where the bottom lights go...

this all ok?

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 last thing... i took the weather strippin off the trunk today and at the bottom ..the edge where the weather strippin attatches 2 is rusted 2..but its only rust on the sharp egde that goes up... but it looks like teeth cause of the rust chipped away.. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ like that...so wha i thought i could do is put a peice of tape on the back side like makin a wall and fiber glassin/bonding a new wall from this side... and then fileing it down right... or do i need to weld metal ? :(

thanks alot bro

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by calvin@Jul 25 2003, 12:36 PM
1 last thing... i took the weather strippin off the trunk today and at the bottom ..the edge where the weather strippin attatches 2 is rusted 2..but its only rust on the sharp egde that goes up... but it looks like teeth cause of the rust chipped away.. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ like that...so wha i thought i could do is put a peice of tape on the back side like makin a wall and fiber glassin/bonding a new wall from this side... and then fileing it down right... or do i need to weld metal ? :(

thanks alot bro
is this a 2 door or 4 door lac bro????

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Jul 25 2003, 04:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Jul 25 2003, 04:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--calvin@Jul 25 2003, 12:36 PM

thanks alot bro
is this a 2 door or 4 door lac bro????[/b][/quote]
4 doe :biggrin:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by calvin@Jul 25 2003, 09:31 AM

calvin if you can post some flickas of what your talking about?

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by calvin+Jul 25 2003, 02:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calvin @ Jul 25 2003, 02:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2003, 04:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--calvin
@Jul 25 2003, 12:36 PM

thanks alot bro

is this a 2 door or 4 door lac bro????
4 doe :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
sounds like alot of work for a 4 door caddy bro-----good luck-peace

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cant post pics :( and if i could its hard 2 get a pic of ..

i thought about gettin a 2 door and switchin 90 shit 2 it but nah man...

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by calvin@Jul 25 2003, 05:47 PM
cant post pics :( and if i could its hard 2 get a pic of ..

i thought about gettin a 2 door and switchin 90 shit 2 it but nah man...
is the rust in the vinyl top?

or is it in the left side near the truck area? there are many rust neutralizers that you can buy or just use backing soda/water/and a little lemon juice.

another tip for the homies who have ranflas with vinyl tops, you can use por-15 under it, then redo your top over it:cheesy: .

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
343 Posts
the only way ucan get rid of rust for good is to sandblast it, covering it with bondo and fibreglass with tape on the back is the cheapest fucking most brutal hack thing i have ever heard. if u do that it will be back within 6 months gaurenteed. trust me i am a body man up in canada so i know how to deal with rust. first u blast the spot, it there is and holes cut that peice out and weld in a patch if it is just a tiny hole like u say, then from there just grind the welds, throw some putty over it, block her out, primer, block with 320 and spray it, then undercoat the inside like a mother fucker where u welded because the sealer burns off the inside f the panle where u welded so it has to be resealed. and that is how we do it up in canada :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts