LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am posting this build for my friend Dominick(95burban on here) because he uses an ipod to get on layitlow. He has been piecing the system together since last summer and we(him, me, and his brother) have been putting it together for the last few months.

So far the build consists of:
(4) 18" Audioque HDC3 aluminum coils
(2) Audioque 3500D amps strapped at 1ohm each
(4) Runs of 2/0 for power and (4) for ground
(2) XS power 3100d batteries
(1) 280 amp Irragi Alternator
(4) Pairs of PG components(so far 2 pairs in each front door/a pillar, more to come)
Alpine HU
80 ft2 of Second Skin Damplifier pro

Still needed:
(1) XS Power D975 for under the hood
More mids and highs
More sound deadening
Amp for mids and highs TBD

and its all going in a 95 suburban

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
We have all had a bunch of smaller systems(below 2k wrms) but never put together anything close to as big as this.

The box is 24ft3 and tuned to 38hz. We used 1"x1" dowels to brace it in all directions and caulked all the seams on the inside just to be safe. Then we painted the inside of the port. No pics of the construction but here's the test fit.

After this the top was double baffled and we cut the holes.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Next we tackled the door pods. None of us have much experience with fiberglass so it was a mess to say the least. Each front door holds 4 6" Phoenix gold mids. The tweeters will be in pods on the A pillars. Doors were sound deadened before the panels went on.

x-over placement and carpet may not be final. Later on rear doors will get the same treatment and possibly a custom center console.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To power everything we installed the High output alternator. Ran 4 runs of 2/0 for power and 4 more for ground and did "the big 3". With the box in we were out of room so we built a rack between the rear seats and the box to hold the amps and batteries.

The wires will be much neater when complete and the battery is not in all the way they normally sit flush.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Tested it out today was really easy on it but still it was fucking nuts:wow:. Hes bringing it to avenue sound competition should be all done by then :cool: Hows your btl doin?
I still need mids and highs and a head unit. I think im gonna just do a quick detail and take it over there next weekend, even without the interior in it

·
Registered
14 Posts
box that big should have been double walled all around and possibly triple baffled and then dowel rod bracing. HDC's can hit hard and cause some serious box flex.

Should be a killer daily set up :thumbsup:

When he gets used to it go to alum recones and 4 3500.1's ;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still need mids and highs and a head unit. I think im gonna just do a quick detail and take it over there next weekend, even without the interior in it
:D
yeah i know how you feel I got a whole system for my impala which isn't gonna be done for another year...:(

box that big should have been double walled all around and possibly triple baffled and then dowel rod bracing. HDC's can hit hard and cause some serious box flex.

Should be a killer daily set up :thumbsup:

When he gets used to it go to alum recones and 4 3500.1's ;)

TRIPLE baffled:eek: sounds kinda crazy considering it should be like 30x stronger according to the math....but so far the bracing seems to be holding up good even tho they haven't been played at full tilt yet. Hes got the alums already idk why, personally I would have went copper for this application.:D

Normal drywall screws won't work as the holes in the basket are too big. I use SPAX heavy duty self drilling screws from Home Depot...

thanks I'll try those out...t nuts are a pain in the ass with mdf :mad:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He didn't buy a 4 channel yet so I put my like new Memphis in. Worked for 2 or 3 minutes till it went into protect and started smoking. :mad::mad::mad::mad: It was running at 2 ohms, but its 2 ohm stable and we weren't hard on it. I measured all of the speaker leads and all measured 5ohm(they are 4 ohm comps) except one which read 1.3 ohm...but the woofer read the right amount so I narrowed it down to the crossover.:angry: I though I had it figured out but we ended up borrowing a 4 channel xplode which in the middle of the day started going into protect at high volumes. Is there something we could be overlooking or are the 2 problems unrelated(it is a pos sony):confused:

The good news is we went to a bass competition at a local shop and he was the loudest truck there as far as bass. ("The beast" from deep hitters mag was there with (8) 21" Incriminators:eek:)...going back tomorrow to get it metered.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
He didn't buy a 4 channel yet so I put my like new Memphis in. Worked for 2 or 3 minutes till it went into protect and started smoking. :mad::mad::mad::mad: It was running at 2 ohms, but its 2 ohm stable and we weren't hard on it. I measured all of the speaker leads and all measured 5ohm(they are 4 ohm comps) except one which read 1.3 ohm...but the woofer read the right amount so I narrowed it down to the crossover.:angry: I though I had it figured out but we ended up borrowing a 4 channel xplode which in the middle of the day started going into protect at high volumes. Is there something we could be overlooking or are the 2 problems unrelated(it is a pos sony):confused:

The good news is we went to a bass competition at a local shop and he was the loudest truck there as far as bass. ("The beast" from deep hitters mag was there with (8) 21" Incriminators:eek:)...going back tomorrow to get it metered.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_102994049765929

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.