LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i could have sworn that i saw a pumphead that looked like it was two of them stacked back to front. i think it was a old lowrider.does anybody know who makes them?

if none of you guys know what the hell i am talking about then i must hv been throwed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
are you talkin about the old pro hopper hopping pump that stacked a motor on a motor through a special block

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
havok, i think that is what i saw in the lowrider, seeing that i remember alotta prohopper ads.

why is it such a pain? i would think that the thickness of the second one would make it withstand alot more pressure. i am wondering how to do this because i want to run stacked marzocci #11 heads o a one pump set-up so it will be quicker. also have been tinkering about putting a co2 bottle with a regulator to the port where the shrade valve i supposed to go on a competetion block. can that b done?

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
to combine them you are gonna have to machine the center shaft gear to adapt to both heads. Besides, the "2nd" set of gears are only gonna spin as fast as the first gears cause the motor is turning the key which turns the shafts, same voltage on both shafts result in the same rpms!! There is a hell of lot easier way of doing what you want to do, but you would need 2 pumps, but then that just defeats the purpose of just wanting a single pump setup.

Its been done before and there is really no advantage, if you want the car to lift faster, just bump up the voltage

Last edited by [email protected] at Sep 26 2003, 12:39 AM

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the max volts you can put on a saco motor safely?

why dont they just make a transmission or something that bolts in between the block and the motor to so it will spin the pumphead faster? then i could run a pretty damn fast system off just the#11 pumphead on one pump. with a competition block with air that would have to be pretty fast huh? and if i had two ports on the block, then i could put a slow down on the outging port for the two rear dumps to get rid of the back coming up faster than the back?

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by havok@Sep 26 2003, 12:28 AM
you need to change your name to MacGyver thinkin like that.
LOL Maybe he can make a bomb out of a pen, some electrical tape and some backing soda. :cheesy:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am just thowing out some ideas hoping someone can help me build a bad ass 1 pump setup for my '80 monte that does the simple shit (fbss,pancake and spider) without the usual 1 pump bullshit, and i hope to m ke it as fast as possible. i know its nearly impossible, but not impossile. someone might b able to help me. shit the way i figure, it might be somethin the uk boys been doin for years that we dont know about yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a single pump in the back of my merc, but there is the "normal single pump bullshit" attached to it at the moment... ...going to 2 pumps over the winter...

I have 1 dump valve and 4 locks, so I can raise or lower each wheel independantly...

Also, not sure if its new to you guys or not, but AIR280 sells these...

http://www.maxhydraulics.com/img2/europsm.jpg

...they are an integrated single pump system (I think originally for beetles)

b :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Originally posted by mclover2@Sep 26 2003, 12:04 PM

why dont they just make a transmission or something that bolts in between the block and the motor to so it will spin the pumphead faster? then i could run a pretty damn fast system off just the#11 pumphead on one pump. with a competition block with air that would have to be pretty fast huh? and if i had two ports on the block, then i could put a slow down on the outging port for the two rear dumps to get rid of the back coming up faster than the back?
someone would need to do this to get accurate figures, but...........

producing pressure requires horsepower in a fixed ratio [power input to pressure x volume]
if you put two heads on a motor that motor would need an input of twice the horsepower to spin the heads at the same speed and pressure.
the same thing goes with the transmission thing.if you runn the head at twice the speed it will produce twice the volume, so at the same pressure it will need twice the power input.

either way, to get more volume or/and pressure you need more power. so you either need more batteries or more motors aswell as another head.

sure it can be done but you wont get any benifit over using standard units.

on the slow down thing............if you restrict volume like that you push the pressure at the head way up and that will drain batteries double time. you would need to bleed off the extra volume back to tank.
:)

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Originally posted by mclover2@Sep 25 2003, 09:21 PM
i could have sworn that i saw a pumphead that looked like it was two of them stacked back to front. i think it was a old lowrider.does anybody know who makes them?

if none of you guys know what the hell i am talking about then i must hv been throwed.
I TRIED THIS YEARS AGO ,WITH A FAT BOYS HYDRAULICS CAR...
AND YEAH FOR ALL IT'S WORTH IN THE END....NO MAJOR
GAINS....WE TRIED DIFFERENT MOTORS,HIGH TORQUE,MORE
BATTERIES,AND IT SUCKED....BUT IT WAS WITH A #8 FENNER
FEEDING A #6.LIKE AN AIR COMPRESSOR.....MIGHT BE FUN TO
TRY AGAIN WITH MARZOCHHI'S?????? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by mclover2@Sep 26 2003, 12:04 AM

Well, you have to ask yourself what you are looking to accomplish. If you want more pressure, you need more RPM. As someone earlier pointed out, adding a second motor wont increase RPMS.

You could use a gear ratio system (larger gear on the motor, smaller one on the pumphead) to get the pumphead to spin at a higher rpm, but that would put more strain on the motor and make it burn out faster. Adding a second motor could to the setup could indeed allow a gear driven pump setup to product more RPM and divide the extra load so that the motors would last longer, but now you have more current draw and shorter battery life.

Every problem you address, creates a new one in its wake. So considering there are alot of guys out there already doing 40+ with single gate cars and off the shelf equipment, you have to wonder whats to gain by trying to build a double headed pump monster.

Invent a motor that can crank out high RPM, hold up well to high temps, run efficently at 100 volts dc and not burst into flames after 3 licks of the switch, and then you got yourself a product people will pay good money for :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
i just dont understand why he wants to do this? The guy isn't looking to hop, so why all this mess about double pumpheads. The chances on the machining required to accomplish the task are not worth the risk. If you don't know exactly what you are doing you will fuck up your gear quick. I did a lot of machining to my marzoochi heads, but did it just for looks, although it did perform a lot better in the end than using standard gears right off the shelf.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob@Sep 26 2003, 06:42 AM
Invent a motor that can crank out high RPM, hold up well to high temps, run efficently at 100 volts dc and not burst into flames after 3 licks of the switch, and then you got yourself a product people will pay good money for :biggrin:
This is all we need!!!! Don't get me wrong we can bumper all day (on a cool day) with sacos and be gravy...but you still have to watch the motor temperature.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin+Sep 26 2003, 04:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (big pimpin @ Sep 26 2003, 04:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Cadillac Bob@Sep 26 2003, 06:42 AM
Invent a motor that can crank out high RPM, hold up well to high temps, run efficently at 100 volts dc and not burst into flames after 3 licks of the switch, and then you got yourself a product people will pay good money for  :biggrin:
This is all we need!!!! Don't get me wrong we can bumper all day (on a cool day) with sacos and be gravy...but you still have to watch the motor temperature.[/b][/quote]
i second that tought

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok. i have been looking in the grainger catalog lately and was thinking about using the double action industrial cylinders (the ones with a port on the top and another on the bottom) . i was thinking since the prob is that you cant control individual wheels at one time while you are down, then why cant i use two dumps on each cylinder and wire them to where each move would just require th fluid to be going through the cylinders the right direction? maybe a spitter manifold on the return port to the tank and then run the hoses thru that . and put relief pressure valves before every dump that circulates the fluid back to the return manifold? wuld this work? i am thinking this might wrk becus then you would be locking out the cylinders that you didnt want to move, but also dumping those cylinders automatically. and just for safety, the relief valvs keep me from fuckin somethin up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts