LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four door truck that I took the back seat out of, in what direction should I fire them?? I had a system before with two L7 12's downfired in the extended cab of a truck and it hit hard. I just dont know which way to fire these.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DOOB@Sep 7 2005, 08:52 PM~3773627
ok I never heard subs fired up

Its just a different approach, sounds slightly louder, but not so "boomy"

Keep in mind there is a difference between "loud" and "Boomy"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by S10laynframe@Sep 7 2005, 09:57 PM~3773665
Its just a different approach, sounds slightly louder, but not so "boomy"

Keep in mind there is a difference between "loud" and "Boomy"
What is the difference?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DOOB@Sep 7 2005, 09:05 PM~3773708
What is the difference?

Loud has a hint of clarity and tight response from the subwoofer without getting sloppy and sounding like fart.

"boomy" is what teenage kids have who get their shit from Wal mart and have it in their rusted out Mustangs or mom and dad's minivan...

all joking aside, Boomy can be just plain distorted noise and subwoofers being pushed way past their insanely over rated limits to make unclear sound that pleases some people who do not like to hear their music...

Maybe cuttie can help me out on this one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Sep 7 2005, 10:07 PM~3773719
just put them in and move the box around..it's not that complicated.
Kinda hard to do that when the box is gonna be fiberglass. If it was square I would just move it around

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DOOB@Sep 7 2005, 09:08 PM~3773725
Kinda hard to do that when the box is gonna be fiberglass.  If it was square I would just move it around

then the only tried and proven methods are firing up or toward you. I suppose firing down would be equally as pleasing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by S10laynframe@Sep 7 2005, 10:10 PM~3773737
then the only tried and proven methods are firing up or toward you. I suppose firing down would be equally as pleasing.
ok thats why I needed help before they started working on the box is because first choice is final i cant change it unless I wanna pay for another box

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
If you are gonna fiberglass it in, and you have the knowledge, I would fire down, that way it will make it very difficult for someone to just take the subs out.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by k gee@Sep 8 2005, 06:32 AM~3774965
i have a friend with 2 10" firing down and it sounded suprisingly good...i thought it was gonna sound like crap cuz not enough space for the waves to travel....and it was in the rear of an expedition :dunno:

There is something called a 3 point corner, think of a sound wave bouncing off of two seperate walls and combining before it hits your ears... I have a diagram somewhere and I know my explanation doesnt make much sense...

the same reason a subwoofer in a trunk sounds better then (firing towards rear) thann firing forward....

Or a home theater system when a seperate powered subwoofer sounds better neara corner.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
The big deal is that if the subs are at a certain distance from some thing, the reflecting waves can actaully cancle out the other waves......

You want to work against that, but firing in any direction can or may not do that, it's about distance.

Point your box forward, move it back and forth, then do it with it pointing backwards, you might some spots to be rather quiet, due to canceling.

Now can you find out what distance you need 100% of the time.... not really, different frequencies, different wave lengths. Just got to find what seems to work the best. It's different for many vehicals.

BTW down firing subs are very common in HT setups too.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Man I talked about Cancelling on here, and people were acting like I was talking alien. Most of the Down firing have a ported section on top that allows the vent full access. Which in turns limits the actually displacement/soundwaves from cancelling itself.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I did a installation for one of my homeboys in his 98 Blazer 4 door w/ 2 15" L7's in a vented enclosure facing up wit a JL 500/1 on each sub and it was fuckin mad loud, I would post sum pics but my computer crashed the other day an I lost all my damn files........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts