LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
puttin in a chain bridge next week. tank is empty ( well next to- 2 bars left on the digi gauge ) heat shield is there. all the shit i've done in my life i have never dropped a tank. but im gettin older, and from this past summer its clear my luck has run out.
people say its just 2 straps and then the fuel lines. now once its out, wont the fuel lines be more flammible then the gas tank left in?

anyway...........
to drop or not

·
Registered
795 Posts
A EMPTY TANK IS WAY MORE DANGEROUS IF U R LEAVING TANK IN FILL IT UP FUMES R THE WORST PLAYER BUT JUST TAKE IT OUT VERY EASY LINES WILL CLEAR OUT IN MINS

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by demintedvisions@Sep 22 2005, 09:35 PM~3868234
A EMPTY TANK IS WAY MORE DANGEROUS IF U R LEAVING TANK IN FILL IT UP FUMES R THE WORST PLAYER BUT JUST TAKE IT OUT VERY EASY LINES WILL CLEAR OUT IN MINS
i knew it was more flammable ( *sp) empty. i drove it around 1 last time to empty just to pull it.....then i was looking at it today thinkin.......wtf am i gettin into. but as long as the fuel lines will be safe for me to weld and cut around them, i'll drop it.

i was mostly worried about the lines hangin there.

·
Registered
795 Posts
NAH U WILL BE COOL WITH LINES JUST LET THEM SIT FOR 30 MINS OR SO TO AIR OUT DONE IT BOTH WAYS MILLION TIMES

·
True-S Mike
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by demintedvisions@Sep 22 2005, 09:42 PM~3868257
NAH U WILL BE COOL WITH LINES JUST LET THEM SIT FOR 30 MINS OR SO TO AIR OUT  DONE IT BOTH WAYS MILLION TIMES
:thumbsup: unless someone had a bad experiance doin this

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
take the extra 20 minuets to remove it, while youre there, clean the top of the tank and the bottom of the trunk floor, spray some new undercoating, maybe replace the fuel pump and screen while it's down... etc..

look at the job as making something better, and not just a hassle, it'll make it better

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Yes someone has had a bad experience, No Names, but it basically blew up on him, and he was under the car with it. I did my Rear end, and I was very nervous, but it worked out with Flash cloth.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
I always drop them no matter what. The one time I didn't I was welding on the rear end and all it took was a small spark and a flame shot up. Luckily I would weld a little then stop. Take the time to do it. And BigBody gas tanks are easy because they are plastic. ;)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
me too i always drop mine better safe than sorry,on the end of the fuel lines i wrap damp rags around them

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Always drop it better safe than sorry...If you really want just put some tape on the ends of the lines.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Ijust dropped mine out, let the line air for a bit then stuck some bolts in the end of the rubber lines that connect to the tank and wrapped some tape around them. Never had a problem

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
its not too hard to drop it its better to b safe than sorry homie :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
drop it...it doesnt take long to do and it would be fucked up to either get hurt or have your ride go up in flames over something that would have taken 30 minutes

like dan said - look at it as time to make something better and fix or improve other things while its out...you will also have more room back there to work on a bridge

·
Registered
249 Posts
maybe you should cut the tank out with a torch :dunno:

·
finger'in a ****
1,521 Posts
Originally posted by juggalo4life@Sep 23 2005, 03:33 AM~3868224
puttin in a chain bridge next week. tank is empty ( well next to- 2 bars left on the digi gauge ) heat shield is there.  all the shit i've done in my life i have never dropped a tank. but im gettin older, and from this past summer its clear my luck has run out.
people say its just 2 straps and then the fuel lines. now once its out, wont the fuel lines be more flammible then the gas tank left in?

anyway...........
to drop or not

maybe you should quit talking like a 80year old man, and luck......sh*t man, wtf is that????? ;)

(ow yeah.....drop it!)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Originally posted by mab69us@Sep 23 2005, 10:40 PM~3876058
maybe you should cut the tank out with a torch :dunno:
u r joking rite?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Sep 22 2005, 08:29 PM~3868527
take the extra 20 minuets to remove it, while youre there, clean the top of the tank and the bottom of the trunk floor, spray some new undercoating, maybe replace the fuel pump and screen while it's down...  etc..

look at the job as making something better, and not just a hassle, it'll make it better
Really good advice there...them fuel pumps are known for takin a shit at the worst time too....

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I'm with you guess on dropping the tank, better safe than sorry, Now I have done it with them in and the overall outcome off the job is not as good as it would have been if I could of focused on the welding instead of the gas :nono:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts