LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done about 3 sets now with no luck. I can get them apart, and I use the opposite side as a guide, so I only take one side apart at a time, and I get it all back together and they don't work.
Anybody have any ideas what I"m doing wrong or have any tricks to do these easier? What I mean by not working is when you step on the brakes after I've attempted to fix them, you can totally tell by the feel of the car that the front brakes are doing all of the work and the backs aren't even doing anything. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I put everything back on just like the other side is that I didn't take apart.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What kind of car are you talking about. For most cars - Once you put all the hardware on right. Then you have to adjust the shoes to the drums. Tighten them up to where the drums don't turn then back off the adjuster till the brake shoes kinda drag on the drums. Do the same to the other side. Then once that's all done drive in reverse and step on the brakes so the self adjusters set and that should be it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on a 1994 Chevy Cavalier, and that's the problem I'm having. The Self Adjusters don't seem to work. They feel like they are kind of loose and they don't adjust the shoes to the drum like they are supposed to.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Don't forget to connect the e-brake.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by ThumperCR@Nov 23 2003, 04:34 PM
It's on a 1994 Chevy Cavalier, and that's the problem I'm having. The Self Adjusters don't seem to work. They feel like they are kind of loose and they don't adjust the shoes to the drum like they are supposed to.
I think on those cars, when the brakes go bad, you throw the car away and go buy something better..

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Originally posted by ThumperCR@Nov 23 2003, 02:34 PM
Go to the auto parts and buy some self adjuster kits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts