LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 amp to each voice coil???????????????????????

thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
you can but i wouldnt reccomend it, why would you want to anyways?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by jdogg@Sep 16 2006, 05:25 PM~6187695
you can but i wouldnt reccomend it, why would you want to anyways?
2 amps twice the power :dunno:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

There's the different ways you can wire a DVC Subwoofer for (1) and (2) Subs....Hope this helps you understand some. All you need is one amp.

:cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
you can hook two amps up to a dual voice coil sub with no problem at all. Take a voltage meter and hook it up to your amp without the subs hooked up and read the a/c volts that come out, make sure both amps are the putting out the same volts. You can change the volts by adjusting your gains. if you get them within a half a volt your good to go.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by Da General@Sep 17 2006, 06:14 PM~6191773
you can hook two amps up to a dual voice coil sub with no problem at all.  Take a voltage meter and hook it up to your amp without the subs hooked up and read the a/c volts that come out,  make sure both amps are the putting out the same volts.  You can change the volts by adjusting your gains.  if you get them within a half a volt your good to go.
Very true, but that's not wise advice to give people on forums...

One major problem with doing this is if an amp drops, you kill the sub almost instantly...

There's no point using two amps on a DVC sub when you can just buy a single amp that will get the job done with both coils wired on it...

Or, if you REALLY need THAT MUCH POWER, buy two strappable amps and strap them to the sub with the coils wired together...

Point being, yes it IS possible, but totally not worth the effort or the risk involved in doing it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
ill go ahead and respectfully disagree with you guys.....if your sub can handle the power there is two ways to do it. Strap the amps and run the leads to the coils like that OR put an amp on each coil, set the gains properly and your good to go.

If your a real man then strap 2 amps to each coil and put 4 total on a sub....now your starting to get to a PURE SPL burpin system. If your manly-er than manly.....then you get a quad coil sub and strap two amps to each coil and let it rip. Now that is ONLY for the insane PURE spl guy and if your at that level your not askin about it on the forums....you ALREADY KNOW wassup.

For daily bumping, with a sub that can take it, the most i recommend would be one amp per coil or two strapped to the entire sub. The latter is easier on the subs since the gains will be matched already and both coils will see the same power.

PS just so you know, before i got my new stuff i had 4 18's and a RF bd1500.1 on each coil.....two per sub. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by meade916@Sep 18 2006, 12:31 PM~6196249
ill go ahead and respectfully disagree with you guys.....if your sub can handle the power there is two ways to do it.  Strap the amps and run the leads to the coils like that OR put an amp on each coil, set the gains properly and your good to go. 

If your a real man then strap 2 amps to each coil and put 4 total on a sub....now your starting to get to a PURE SPL burpin system.  If your manly-er than manly.....then you get a quad coil sub and strap two amps to each coil and let it rip.  Now that is ONLY for the insane PURE spl guy and if your at that level your not askin about it on the forums....you ALREADY KNOW wassup.

For daily bumping, with a sub that can take it, the most i recommend would be one amp per coil or two strapped to the entire sub.  The latter is easier on the subs since the gains will be matched already and both coils will see the same power.

PS just so you know, before i got my new stuff i had 4 18's and a RF bd1500.1 on each coil.....two per sub. ;)
All that is great, if you know what you are doing...

Most of the people here are lowriders from birth and just want some tunes in the lo-lo...

When you answer posts here, keep in mind this is only ONE section of a "lowrider forum" meant to help with installing basic car audio...

Most people here are not hard core SPL guys like you or myself, so you have to give answers accordingly...

Just please keep this in mind Steve, thanks for your understanding...

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Originally posted by Brahma Brian@Sep 18 2006, 09:36 AM~6196268
All that is great, if you know what you are doing...

Most of the people here are lowriders from birth and just want some tunes in the lo-lo...

When you answer posts here, keep in mind this is only ONE section of a "lowrider forum" meant to help with installing basic car audio...

Most people here are not hard core SPL guys like you or myself, so you have to give answers accordingly...

Just please keep this in mind Steve, thanks for your understanding...

so what...

you wanna dumb down the posts because some us aren't as great as you?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by silver64@Sep 18 2006, 02:38 PM~6196902
so what...
you wanna dumb down the posts because some us aren't as great as you?
No, that's you taking what I said out of context my friend...

I never said I was "great", I am far from great, that is you putting words in my mouth...

My point is, you need to explain ALL the facts before you tell someone to do something that isn't as cut and dry as it may seem...

Just because you tell someone something is able to be done and YOU know how to do it, or YOU think it's easy to do, that doesn't mean that the person asking the qusetion has the knowledge and the skills needed to properly do it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i thought i did explain the facts.....i told these guys how to do it where before they didnt know how to do it. Gotta learn somewhere :D Come to my forum :cool: ill explain it a little better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts