LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my setup for a couple months, bare with me, I'm still learning. Haven't been driving the 54 cause it rides like shit still and I haven't had the time or cash to have the accums installed. (2 pump, 2 dump, 36V one bank) Anyway, I left the front lifted in the garage for about a week and noticed the front dumped itself. So I lifted it back up and noticed the pass was an inch lower then the driver side. Whats up with that? (Ive been leaving dumped now)But even dumped the fucker still lays an inch lower on one side.

Also I was messing around in the trunk and noticed my rear pump has leaked in between the block and the motor. Not like a whole lot but theres a good 4 in' diameter puddle on the floor. WTF? These are brand new Showtime pumps. So now just take the cover off the [armature?] and tighten the motor against the block?
Is there no o-ring between the motor and block?
And one more newbie question, I already understand I should use 30W oil in the pumps. now heres the dumbass part, where the fuck do I top it off?

Please help, and no, I'm pretty fucking handy with an adjustable wrench :thumbsup: (no need to send pics )
Thanks everybody

·
Registered
247 Posts
at least you know how to use a wrench and dont need pictures of it, like some people we know

as for dumping itself close your slowdown valve and see if it still dumps itself over a period of time, if it does still dump its your check valves, if it stops then its the o-rings in your dumps

and for the puddle on the ground, i havent had to take a motor off yet :biggrin: so i havent been through all of that yet, and 30w oil? u talking about 30w non detergent hydraulic oil? or you talkin about 10w30 MOTOR oil, becuase thats not cool

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by Suede54@Oct 11 2003, 01:10 PM
Can anyone help me out with the leaky pump? Need to know what to tighten, and where I can get the oil to replace what has leaked.
Also, is a leak here and there normal? or does the motor need to be taken off the block and checked out?
nice avi you have there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
I think the best is, just to take the motor out, and to take it apart. You said you`re handy with a wrench, well in that case you`ll have no problems putting it back together. You`ll learn how things are done, how it works, and then you`ll understand problems ;)

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
there is a oil seal between the motor and the pumphead ... now the bad news ... you gotta take off the tank to get to that seal ...and replace the seal .. if your lucky you might get away with torquing down the pump head ..

worse news if you say theres a puddle under the motor ...guess what you have oil in the motors ... oil+voltage=heat ...get that off there and taken care of quickly ...brake cleaner works good just let them dry before using them ...

of course ...before filling the tanks ... dump the car .. use nd 30 you should stick your pinky in the hole and get the tip of finger wet...it's now full ..

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
by the way........you say you left your fronts locked up for a week :0

the reason your seals blew is because you left the pressure in the system...simple fix and cheap........NOW

you also said one side in the front is lower than the other side........this just means your springs broke in if they are new they broke in on that one side because you left the car locked up........

good luck man keep us updated :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay fuck. So I have oil in my motor.... And check it out, it's not the front pump.... its the rear pump that oil is leaking from in between the block and the motor..... which has been fully dumped pretty much since I picked it up from the installer.
( I've never left the rear locked up at all cause it sits so high with the coils in there.)
So basically I have to take my rear pump apart to replace the o ring in between the block and the tank. or hopefully just torque it down.........
But now I definately have to take the motor off and clean it out...
Now where can I find non- detergent 30?

And holy shit....I may have just figured it out.... installer put a set of coils (3 turns) in between the cylinders and the bridge......meaning when my car is dumped all the way, there is still pressure in the system because the coils are preventing the cylinder to go down all the way, and thats why I blew the seal in the rear?!?! :0

You think? or no?

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Originally posted by Suede54@Oct 12 2003, 05:36 PM
Okay fuck. So I have oil in my motor.... And check it out, it's not the front pump.... its the rear pump that oil is leaking from in between the block and the motor..... which has been fully dumped pretty much since I picked it up from the installer.
( I've never left the rear locked up at all cause it sits so high with the coils in there.)
So basically I have to take my rear pump apart to replace the o ring in between the block and the tank. or hopefully just torque it down.........
But now I definately have to take the motor off and clean it out...
Now where can I find non- detergent 30?

And holy shit....I may have just figured it out.... installer put a set of coils (3 turns) in between the cylinders and the bridge......meaning when my car is dumped all the way, there is still pressure in the system because the coils are preventing the cylinder to go down all the way, and thats why I blew the seal in the rear?!?! :0

You think? or no?
you can get nd 30 at any gas station or parts place ...
it's the straight 30 weight ... look for the nd ...that means non detergent ...that stuff eats up seals ...

as for the o ring between the pump head and the block ..yeah change that couldnt hurt ...but i was saying the seal for the input shaft to the pump head ... sometimes when you lift the car for a while ....it creates a vacuum in the tank that will slowly equalize ..
well when you drop the car on it's nuts it creates a air over fluid pressure and since liquids dont compress ...they are pushing on the "input" oil seal ..

now about the springs while dropped in the rear .. if you have cups or coil overs they should drop till they cant .. there should be like no pressure on your cylinders or hoses ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah man I cant post a pic. Need a digital camera.
Doesn't matter too much, Im taking it down next week and having those springs he put in taken out....Also getting the prohopper accums put in, and having HIM change the seal/O ring.
I know I have to dig into that pump and learn it inside and out, but for now...... fuck it. That O ring and/or the input shaft seal shouldnt have blown with it sitting in the garage for 3 weeks dumped. Especially with a one and a half month old Showtime pump.

Thanks a lot to everyone that posted. Really helped me out. I'll never forget not to leave the car locked up unless Im driving.. Also that there should never be oil on the side of the block my motor's on. :uh: Stupid Newbies Why would you juice a 54 anyway? :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts