LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
yeah it will work. Mine was navy and I dyed it white and it turned out fine.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
regular dye in a spray paint can....I did it in my garage and taped everything off and used 2 torpedo heaters on the whole time while I did it to bake it on.....I also used pre clean on all the surfaces I painted.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Mine was damn near black. I wiped it first with laquer thinner, then put on a base/primer, and then dye it. DONT USE CHEAP SHIT! Spend the extra couple bucks, and do it right. ;)

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
no no no.............dont use the dye....... it's just eventually scratch, peel, or fade...... and that dye is easy to scratch...... this is how you do it...... Yo use regular car paint..... you paint it just like you would paint a car. you sand it lightly, scuff it..... spray primer then paint it with regular car paint ;) ................and their is even some stuff you can by that will feel in all of those vynal or leather creases and make it look nice and smooth...... ;)

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Originally posted by Top_Dog_Calistyle+Aug 28 2003, 10:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Top_Dog_Calistyle @ Aug 28 2003, 10:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--POISONIVY@Aug 26 2003, 12:23 PM
yeah it will work.  Mine was navy and I dyed it white and it turned out fine.
How long has it been and/or how long did it last? Any peeling or fading.??[/b][/quote]
Mine is in a daily driven convertible, with the sun beating on it every day. Plus all the grime and dirt. I have had no problems. The key is to clean it right. DONT USE ARMOR ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!1
USE PLEDGE! Pledge had no side effect, had like 100% uv protection, will not harm it in ANY way, and if you use lemon sented, its a free air freshener. ;) Pluse, you dont need sun glasses to look at your dash. It leaves a nice semi-gloss finish. Looks natural. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Originally posted by DownLow350+Aug 29 2003, 08:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DownLow350 @ Aug 29 2003, 08:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2003, 10:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--POISONIVY
@Aug 26 2003, 12:23 PM

How long has it been and/or how long did it last? Any peeling or fading.??
Mine is in a daily driven convertible, with the sun beating on it every day. Plus all the grime and dirt. I have had no problems. The key is to clean it right. DONT USE ARMOR ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!1
USE PLEDGE! Pledge had no side effect, had like 100% uv protection, will not harm it in ANY way, and if you use lemon sented, its a free air freshener. ;) Pluse, you dont need sun glasses to look at your dash. It leaves a nice semi-gloss finish. Looks natural. :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
:roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Originally posted by Top_Dog_Calistyle+Aug 29 2003, 09:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Top_Dog_Calistyle @ Aug 29 2003, 09:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2003, 10:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--POISONIVY
@Aug 26 2003, 12:23 PM

How long has it been and/or how long did it last? Any peeling or fading.??

USE PLEDGE! Pledge had no side effect, had like 100% uv protection, will not harm it in ANY way, and if you use lemon sented, its a free air freshener. ;) Pluse, you dont need sun glasses to look at your dash. It leaves a nice semi-gloss finish. Looks natural. :biggrin:
:roflmao: :roflmao:[/b][/quote]
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you dye it, Preperation is a big key part, if you dont prep it right or put time into it before dying it, then it wont last long. House of kolor will have what you need.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
homie,

before you think of dye'ing your dash, look for an aftermarket dash cover or just get it upholstered.

i've dyed dashes before and the trick is PREPARATION. remove the dash, use a good cleaner like DENATURED ALCOHOL, not regular alcohol or or lacquer thinner. anything else may make your dash warp, crack or fade.

then get a good base. if your painting it white find a white colored base, then spray it.

when you apply the base, sand it with an extra fine grit and reapply, this may take a couple of coats, then when you paint it, do the same.

go to an autobody supply store and make sure the base and dye are hight temp and have flexible agents in it.

the last dash i dyed was my carnalas orang civic, i also dyed it white. stock color was blue.

with that said, i still think a good aftermarket dash cover or getting it upholstered is a better choice.

hope this helps :biggrin: ,

cc

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by deftonekorn1002@Sep 15 2003, 09:19 PM
who makes an after market dash from an 81 coupe deville
search for companies that specialize in caddy's. a customer had a 240z and wanted me to wrap it, i found a complete dash cover for $65 and saved him money and it looked fantastic.

they are out there, also consider doing a full uphosltery wrap, remove the dash in pieces and fold over, read my previous post.

if you still have ????'s send me a pm.

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Okay so i want to change from navy blue here to a tan color.. what else should i remove before i can prep it for vinyl paint??
whats the best brand of paint to use?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts