LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dynamat is expensive as hell! i know theres different brands out there and some are more expensive/cheaper than others. you also pay for quality though. can you just use one of those bottles of foam and fill up the vent holes on your trunk? you guys think it might expand and make my hood pop out where i put it? the trunk of my 66 impala has small holes in the trunk (about 10 of them or so), im thinking i can just get a bottle of that foam (we have it at work) and fill it up to where its flush with the hole. what do you guys think, will it get rid of my rattling?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
correct me if im wrong, but all dynamat and any other product similar to it do, is seal off the holes in your trunk (vent holes) to make them air tite so the turnk wont rattle when your subs are dispalcing air (making air go into the holes, thus vibrating your trunk), right???

·
Registered
970 Posts
sorta...it more or less stiffens and insalates the panels in the car u will get more sound in the cabin of the car if u do your trunk...it will help rattle a bit ...but...if u have some serious tunes get used to the rattle..i would use expanding foam where possibleand use a lil dynamat where needid to look good

·
Registered
848 Posts
i got the foam on the trunklid. dont put too much in one spot or it might fuck t up when it expands, i would doa bit, let it expand , do some more, cuz some stuff expands alot

·
Registered
98 Posts
if its permant use both.you can get this stuff at home depot called ice shield but I just used this gutter tape.its for aluminum gutter repair.its about 6'' wide not sure the length.it has the asphalt side and the silver side just peel and stick.I heated some pieces but only because it was cold.used it on my doors made them sound pretty solid.my trunk the box is bolted down and spray foamed around it just to keep the air going foward.I used probally 5-6 cans of that crap.it does work if your wondering.all this is on a 96 impala so big bare metal everywhere.good luck

·
Registered
807 Posts
Dynamat and spray foam both have differnt uses though, not necessarily one in the same.

Dynamat (and other mat dampening materials) absorb vibrational acoustic energy and dissipate it as heat. This is generally what helps to reduce rattles, aside from its adding mass. Foam on the other hand, is simply the addition of mass.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ended up using 3 cans of "minimal expansion" foam, cans. they worked pretty good actually. one thing i found out also for next time i do it, is whenever you guys do it, (if you have holes in your trunk you can fill up), fill them up with foam first till where its almost full, then put duct tape over the hole to cover it up and prevent the foam from coming out and looking ugly. its easier to clean up that way also. i cut some slits in the tape after about a day to let it dry under the tape. worked out good, exactly what i was looking for. trunk does not rattle near as much now, as it did before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts