LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest Kandy to paint with? I was told that Createx Auto Air(new) is the easiest. I am thinking of painting my own car and am going with Kandy. I am not new to painting Kandy because I have painted with SEM Kandy and House of Kolor Kandy. The HOK was alot easier and had better results, but does any one know of the easiest kandy, and the cheapest at a gallon? All help is appreciated alot :biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
first of all... dont go near that auto air stuff. i used it alot before when i didnt have access to a proper booth but seriously you will never be happy with results. house of kolor makes some of the best kandy around but you will pay for it. id stick to a ppg or something like that if money is a problem. sometimes i use a rm diamont or dupont base with a house of kolor kandy, to cut on costs. and yeah i wouldnt paint a kandy for my first paint job. stick to a real nice metallic base then clear, you will be happy you did.
good luck

·
Registered
407 Posts
I hear that they have candy base coats, that prevent you from striping the candy and to prevent it from being blotchy. You can use a close color base coat too.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
so you can use other companys products and then uses some hok kand and save a few bucks? how much does kandy cost and how much would i need to paint amy fleetwood minus the roof?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Originally posted by lowcaddy87@Dec 23 2003, 11:01 AM
so you can use other companys products and then uses some hok kand and save a few bucks? how much does kandy cost and how much would i need to paint amy fleetwood minus the roof?
the cost of hok complete system is around 800. that varies on the color and if u are using flake.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by novanutz@Dec 22 2003, 10:32 PM
first of all... dont go near that auto air stuff. i used it alot before when i didnt have access to a proper booth but seriously you will never be happy with results. house of kolor makes some of the best kandy around but you will pay for it. id stick to a ppg or something like that if money is a problem. sometimes i use a rm diamont or dupont base with a house of kolor kandy, to cut on costs. and yeah i wouldnt paint a kandy for my first paint job. stick to a real nice metallic base then clear, you will be happy you did.
good luck
What was wrong with that Auto air, because the guy said it was new and waterbase paint but he prob is wrong about being new. I have painted with HOK and it has been the best but a lil pricey. I am painting in a proper both and just want input on what brand of Kandy to paint with. So the quetion is what is the easiest and best result you guys have paited with?

·
Registered
18,017 Posts
Originally posted by 1lownissan@Dec 23 2003, 12:48 AM
i wanna paint my car kandy but i've never painted before and i'm scared. :0
go to the junkyard get any vehicle door and practice..thats how i started...i still am not skilled enough to paint my ride....but im better than i use to be

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I BEEN PAiNTING FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS....MY HOMIE EASTBAY_60 HAS ABOUT THE SAME IF NOT MORE...I WILL NOT FUCK WITH CANDY BUT HE DOES IT TOOK MAYBE ABOUT 3 OR 4 CARS TO GET IT DONE.....BUT THEY LOOK NICE....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Any water based paint that i have ever tried sucked ass. Stay away from them.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by MyFamiliaCC@Dec 26 2003, 12:10 PM
Auto air is cool for small stuff but not a whole car. HOK is the best all around, and no it's not that expensive. In fact oz. per oz. PPG is way more expensive then HOK
;)
FINALLY someone who "can see" this like me!!!!

i priced a quart of brandywine from ppg they wanted $60 a quart!!!!

then i bought HOK for $40 a quart........

HOK is all i use form now on i used to paint with ppg i liked them but some of their paint was priced pretty high...........

NOW you could use a ppg omni basecoat.........and clear would be ALOT cheaper..........

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
oops, double post

Last edited by JasonJ at Dec 31 2003, 11:17 PM

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT+Dec 31 2003, 10:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SWITCHCRAFT @ Dec 31 2003, 10:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--MyFamiliaCC@Dec 26 2003, 12:10 PM
Auto air is cool for small stuff but not a whole car.  HOK is the best all around, and no it's not that expensive.  In fact  oz. per oz.  PPG is way more expensive then HOK
;)
FINALLY someone who "can see" this like me!!!!

i priced a quart of brandywine from ppg they wanted $60 a quart!!!!

then i bought HOK for $40 a quart........
[/b][/quote]
I dont know anything about HOK, never had any experience with it..... but i do know about PPG.... you can get a pint of PPG Radiance II colored dyes for about that price and make your own colors instead of buying a color that everyone else has.... and you could probably paint about 20 cars with one pint..... sounds pretty cheap to me... can you do that with HOK?

·
Registered
949 Posts
There are many cheap ways to make your own candy paint and you wouldn't want to know how little it costs the companies to actually make remember its just transparent colour ;)

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
yeah i know you can mix your own using toners.........i was just referring to premixed candy sorry for the confusion...........

jason j did you ever mix your own???????

i talked to sal awhile back and he told me some things he did to your ride that i just couldn't believe :0

pm time????? :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Jan 1 2004, 09:49 AM
yeah i know you can mix your own using toners.........i was just referring to premixed candy sorry for the confusion...........

i talked to sal awhile back and he told me some things he did to your ride that i just couldn't believe :0

Ok, i didnt know that PPG sold premixed colors.... i only know about what Sal uses... but i would have guessed that HOK would have still been more, i learn something new everyday.

Yes i mixed some colors with the toners, you can make any color you want by mixing the right base colors (which im still learning). Does anybody know if someone makes a color wheel or color chart that tells you how much of what colors to mix to make specific colors?

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ+Jan 1 2004, 12:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JasonJ @ Jan 1 2004, 12:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SWITCHCRAFT@Jan 1 2004, 09:49 AM

Ok, i didnt know that PPG sold premixed colors.... i only know about what Sal uses... but i would have guessed that HOK would have still been more, i learn something new everyday.

Yes i mixed some colors with the toners, you can make any color you want by mixing the right base colors (which im still learning). Does anybody know if someone makes a color wheel or color chart that tells you how much of what colors to mix to make specific colors?[/b][/quote]
Ive got a color wheel from diamont that shows the basic colors when you mix them together what it looks like. It helps a little with tinting. I think u can get them at like art supply stores. And as far as i know they dont have any charts showing the colors you could make with just the transparent toners. But they do have plenty with all shades of solid colors.

Are you mixing the toners with a mixing clear or a catalized clear? Ive done it before with small shit but never thought aobut it for a whole car.

And PPG does sell premixed candies now like HOK. They said they are cheaper than HOK because it takes less coats to cover. (3-4 vs. 4-6) But i didnt use it on my car because i was worried it might leave streaks or blotches, maybe even fade with less coats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts