LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a new crate engine put in my 82 olds cutlass (V6 3.8L), Im not satisfied with the performance. It's been running reliably for a year now after install but I need a little more get up and go. Can anyone name some easy upgrades I can do for better performance. Im a novice with auto mechanics so helps much appreciated.

- I definately need to replace the exhaust. Brand and Size?

- I was told an after market catalytic Conv. would give better air flow. Is there a certain type?

- Is there a way to put an open elemnt air filter thing on a stock 2bbl carb?

Anything else?

Thnx

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
New performance intake, 4 bbl carb, camshaft, higher compression pistons, and a few other things just like if it was a v-8. For under $500 you can get 300hp out of her.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-Im having trouble locating a performance cam compatable with a V6. What brand should I be looking into?

-I cant get a performance intake until I replace the carb right? Which Edelbrock carb and intake manifold would I need to put a 4bbl on a V6? 600cfm? Is the carb in an 82 olds computer controlled?

-I liked what I read about these headers in another post. Any comments on them;
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...art=HED%2D68600

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just realized those headers probablly dont even fit a v-6. As you can see I seriously need some advice here, Im clueless. :uh:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Nov 27 2003, 12:43 PM
New performance intake, 4 bbl carb, camshaft, higher compression pistons, and a few other things just like if it was a v-8. For under $500 you can get 300hp out of her.
oK, I just called the JC Whitney help line. The teller was not able to find any cams compatable with my car. Can someone-1 point me in some direction now? Throw it in the gutter and go buy another or what?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I found this camshaft on the jcwhitney website, no thanks to two calls to the helpline.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores...ZX&appId=444962

It says "For best performance, also install a new timing chain and gear set (sold separately). " Should I think about that to?
I assume to install something like a cam shaft I'm looking at upwards of $700 or so? Thats more than I could afford. Theres no way I can do it myself, though. How much performance will I get out of a new cam and what would be a good fair price for an install?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Its cheaper if you order a whole upgrade kit. There are some speed shops that would be able to get what you want all in one package. See what Edelbrock has for your car as a package deal. I dont have all my catalogs here with me, but I know there are alot of options for these engines. I had the 3.8L V6 in a 79 Camino.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I think if your not too automotively inclined, take it into a shop and have them drop a good 'ol 350 with about 300hp in the car. Cost would be around $1000 for whole engine and install I think can be close to $500. Check around.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Nov 30 2003, 01:04 AM
I think if your not too automotively inclined, take it into a shop and have them drop a good 'ol 350 with about 300hp in the car. Cost would be around $1000 for whole engine and install I think can be close to $500. Check around.
Sounds cheaper to swap engines instead of going through all the hassle's of upgrading a V6. Let me ask a different question:

Im putting a flowmaster and K&N filter on for the time being. Should I go with 2 1/2" pipes from the cat back or 3".

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
2 1/4 at the most for a V-6 with performance exhaust. Thats pretty much overkill for a 3.8L already. Too big and its provides no extra power and is a waste of money.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Nov 30 2003, 08:21 PM
2 1/4 at the most for a V-6 with performance exhaust. Thats pretty much overkill for a 3.8L already. Too big and its provides no extra power and is a waste of money.
Good to know. The first shop said 2 1/4 but a few others I called said 2 1/2" - 3". I'll stick with the 2 1/4", but your sayin its a waste of money and overkill even with the 2 1/4 pipe?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
2 1/4" is good for a dual performance exhaust with a small engine. If your gonna run single, then go with the 2 1/2". 2 inch would be ok, but it wouldn't sound as good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts