LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo.. I have accumulators on the rear of my ride, and I've been wondering about adding a switch to my switchbox that would shut off the accumulators from the drivers seat rather than using a manual shut off valve.

Is it possible to use a dump valve for this? Or what else do people use?

any ideas?

chris

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You could use a dump, but the coil will probably not last very long because they're not really rated for continuous-duty. I don't think it would last very long; and I'm talking minutes, hours at the most. You could check your local industrial hydraulic joint to see if they have continuous-duty coils (aka, solenoids) for dump trucks or snow plows. They may be able to help you out...
Unless someone else up here knows where to get some continuous-duty valve coils?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I know you don't plan on leaving the dump closed for extremely long periods of time, but I just want to remind you that you still want to check the duty cycle of the dump coil. Make sure it can handle being left on for a while. At least as long as you plan on playing... or as long as it might be left on when you go outside in the morning and notice that you forgot to shut it off the night before.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks! that's a real good point.

i guess that i could hook up a relay to switch it open when the power is turned off. the way my car is set up now, the hydros will not work without the key being in the acc or on position.

back to the drawing board (unless I find something out of a caterpillar)

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Originally posted by WashPaChris 64@Jan 5 2004, 11:51 AM
Yo.. I have accumulators on the rear of my ride, and I've been wondering about adding a switch to my switchbox that would shut off the accumulators from the drivers seat rather than using a manual shut off valve.

Is it possible to use a dump valve for this?  Or what else do people use?

any ideas?

chris
I can't help but think that people are not seeing this the way I do.

Why do you want to use a shut off? The system here will close/redirect the fluid so that there is no accumulator action when the switch is hit.
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?a...2fcc5c447eae2f9

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
we regularly use italian dumps as shut offs...........
wired thro relays so they are open only when the ignition is on and with a switch so they can be off with the igniton on if you want.

never had one burn out in three years since first trying it [although i did have deltas swelling when i used them at the start]. running 12v from the car battery.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros+Jan 6 2004, 03:31 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hydros @ Jan 6 2004, 03:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--WashPaChris 64@Jan 5 2004, 11:51 AM

Is it possible to use a dump valve for this?  Or what else do people use?

any ideas?

chris
I can't help but think that people are not seeing this the way I do.

Why do you want to use a shut off? The system here will close/redirect the fluid so that there is no accumulator action when the switch is hit.
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?a...2fcc5c447eae2f9

[/b][/quote]
You might have to explain that to me like I'm a 2-year-old but I'm still seeing accumulator response through that 3-way valve when you hit a switch.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
First of all, I want to say thank you to BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS for having the guts to say you need me to be a little more clear on what I am trying to show folks. ;)

OK you know how you can blow through only two ports at a time on three port valves. This is how you would plumb the valve to the accumulator. Free flowing. Fluid will always be flowing back and forth.

Now, when you hit the switch for the car to go up, the dump is also wired to activate. There will be a change in the ports for the fluid to flow, but, now, only one of those original two ports that used to allow flow when the valve was not activated is now closed. This is how you plumb it up.

You plumb the dump sort of backwards.

Last edited by Hydros at Jan 7 2004, 01:29 AM

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Remember, this bottom image is the 3 way valve to the accumulator. The first diagram at the top shows two valves, one to dump the car, and the other for the accumulator. Don't forget the optional check valve.

You drive around with accumulator action, then when you hit the switch, there is no accumulator action.

The slow down controls the fluid flow and can be shut for full hopping action, even when the accumlator dump valve is still being activated.

It looks like this system is going to take awhile to catch on.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Originally posted by impala_631@Jan 5 2004, 12:34 PM
pro hopper sell special nomally open dumps just for your situation, you wire it so that when u hit the switch it closes ;)
do you have the URl, link to check this out? I didn't see it right off.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros@Jan 7 2004, 05:45 AM
Remember, this bottom image is the 3 way valve to the accumulator. The first diagram at the top shows two valves, one to dump the car, and the other for the accumulator. Don't forget the optional check valve.

You drive around with accumulator action, then when you hit the switch, there is no accumulator action.

The slow down controls the fluid flow and can be shut for full hopping action, even when the accumlator dump valve is still being activated.

It looks like this system is going to take awhile to catch on.
OK, my mistake. I was under the impression that that was a regular dump valve instead of a "real" 3-way valve. I'm just not used to hearing people talk about real 3-ways up here. I understand what you're talking about and I should have the first time also being a pipe designer and all. :)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by dough916@Jan 7 2004, 03:20 PM
wouldn't it work the same with less plumping like this?
From what I can see, yes, it would.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Here is my take on the first image: There appears to be an added advantage to it.

I'll let you deside. I was going to post this questin on SquareDump.com and pay $10.00 to the first person to figure it out.

If you know it now, don't post it here, wait for me to start the contest. You can PM me or send an email if you think you know it.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Huh? I forgot the contest. OK, I'll post the contest on hydros.biz as it's more of a current hydro site.

$10.00 big fat bucks to the first person to figure out the additional advantage of plumbing it up my way.

I'll start the contest in a few days.

Also, the prize goes up an additional $5.00 per week until it reaches $20.00.

This is all some DEEP THOUGHT theory stuff.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros@Mar 30 2004, 03:52 AM
Huh? I forgot the contest. OK, I'll post the contest on hydros.biz as it's more of a current hydro site.

$10.00 big fat bucks to the first person to figure out the additional advantage of plumbing it up my way.

I'll start the contest in a few days.

Also, the prize goes up an additional $5.00 per week until it reaches $20.00.

This is all some DEEP THOUGHT theory stuff.
The only advantage I THOUGHT I saw is that the recirc would keep you from lockin up and blowing a pump seal. But that's not true 'cause as soon as your pipes are full, there's still a potential for that. So far, I'm not seeing a difference. I'll look at it again later.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Just get a normally open dump that way when you are trying to swang you can close it. It will be fine as long as you don't forget to open it back up when your done hopping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts