LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE TO ORDER MY ELECTRIC FANS BUT I DONT KNOW WHICH ONES ARE THE BEST TO GO WITH CUZ IVE HAD PROBLEMS IN THE PAST WITH OVER HEATING AND I DONT WANT THAT TO BE AN ISSUE I HAVE A FULL CHROME 383! SO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHATS THE BEST FAN TYPE OR WHATS THE RPM RATIO I NEED TO GO WITH THAT WILL KEEP IT COOL THE BEST FOR NO OVER-HEATING IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
just one 16" is good enough. For extra cooling put the fan on the inside of the radiator and cover the rest of the radiator with plastic or steel plate to act like a shroud. Running fans on the outside and making them push is ok but the shroud idea wont work.

For even more cooling run 2 12" fans. 2 12s fit nicely on a radiator. Make both either push or pull. Running one pushing and one pulling is dumb because when the car is moving your working against the air moving into the radiator.

Make sure you have a 100 amp alternator for the power those fans are going to use plus whatever your car uses. If you have a 60 amp and your headlights are on and your heater or a/c is on and your stereo your not making enough amps to keep up.

Also S shaped blades are quieter than straight. CFM doesnt matter, alot of the companies lie and they all have different ways of measuring anyway. S shaped or straight have nearly the same CFM so dont worry bout all that either. As long as you have good amperage and proper size wiring going to them then they will work to their full potential. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by CoupeDTS@Mar 19 2010, 02:11 PM~16938741
just one 16" is good enough.  For extra cooling put the fan on the inside of the radiator and cover the rest of the radiator with plastic or steel plate to act like a shroud.  Running fans on the outside and making them push is ok but the shroud idea wont work.

For even more cooling run 2 12" fans.  2 12s fit nicely on a radiator.  Make both either push or pull.  Running one pushing and one pulling is dumb because when the car is moving your working against the air moving into the radiator. 

Make sure you have a 100 amp alternator for the power those fans are going to use plus whatever your car uses.  If you have a 60 amp and your headlights are on and your heater or a/c is on and your stereo your not making enough amps to keep up.

Also S shaped blades are quieter than straight.  CFM doesnt matter, alot of the companies lie and they all have different ways of measuring anyway.  S shaped or straight have nearly the same CFM so dont worry bout all that either.  As long as you have good amperage and proper size wiring going to them then they will work to their full potential.  :thumbsup:

MAN THANX ALOT AND OH ONE MORE QUEST. IS IT BETTER TO HAVE THEM RUNNIN ALL THE TIME OR TO JUST WIRE THEM TO KICC ON AT A LOW TEMP TO MAKE SURE IT STAYS COOL? AND ARE YOU USING BUD LIGHT AS ANTIFREEZE?LOL :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Ive heard people using mountain dew as antifreeze before :uh: but thats dumb it has sugar and it still boils. Probably a lie :cheesy:

Its good to have them on a temp switch. You can buy the sensor for about 15$ then just get a 40 amp relay (same they use for alarms and other car shit) and wire it up.

I have a hard time getting those temp switches to read right so I run a switch but it would be less hassle to just have a temp switch. Theyre hard to make work because they are a pipe thread but they have to ground to what you are bolting them into, so you have to use teflon to make it seal but still make it so metal is touching metal. Its weird but possible.

I think when its above 80 out they run all the time anyway. And when its like 30 outside you dont even need it on anymore at all. So if you only drive when its warm then yea you could just flip em on everytime you drive, but just hope you remember to turn em on everytime, otherwise ur gonna notice ur car runnin like shit all of a sudden and say, oh shit the fans aint on!

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts

Heres a cutlass I had, these fans had HUGE motors on em. Drained alot of power. THey were industrial strength LOL. But this motor ran hot I had underdrive pulleys on it.

Now I just have the 1 16" on my caddy pictured, it does the job idling in super ass slow traffic when it 90 out :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by CoupeDTS@Mar 19 2010, 08:57 PM~16941934
Ive heard people using mountain dew as antifreeze before :uh:  but thats dumb it has sugar and it still boils.  Probably a lie  :cheesy:

Its good to have them on a temp switch.  You can buy the sensor for about 15$ then just get a 40 amp relay (same they use for alarms and other car shit) and wire it up. 

I have a hard time getting those temp switches to read right so I run a switch but it would be less hassle to just have a temp switch.  Theyre hard to make work because they are a pipe thread but they have to ground to what you are bolting them into, so you have to use teflon to make it seal but still make it so metal is touching metal.  Its weird but possible. 

I think when its above 80 out they run all the time anyway.  And when its like 30 outside you dont even need it on anymore at all.  So if you only drive when its warm then yea you could just flip em on everytime you drive, but just hope you remember to turn em on everytime, otherwise ur gonna notice ur car runnin like shit all of a sudden and say, oh shit the fans aint on!
THANX CUZ I HAD DUAL 12IN FANS RUNNIN LAST TIME THEY HAD EM SET TO PULL AND IT CAME WIT A THERMOSTAT SWITCH THAT HAD THAT COPPER PIPE ATTACHED LIKE YOU SAID AND IT STILL OVER HEATED IT PISSED ME OFF CUZ I COULDN FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM I SPENT MORE TIME ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD THEN I DID RIDIN SO I THOUGHT THAT MAYBE THE FANS WERE SPINNING FAST ENUFF THATS WHY I ASKED ABOUT THE RPMS

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by midwestcoast@Mar 19 2010, 09:04 PM~16941996
THANX CUZ I HAD DUAL 12IN FANS RUNNIN LAST TIME THEY HAD EM SET TO PULL AND IT CAME WIT A THERMOSTAT SWITCH THAT HAD THAT COPPER PIPE ATTACHED LIKE YOU SAID AND IT STILL OVER HEATED IT PISSED ME OFF CUZ I COULDN FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM I SPENT MORE TIME ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD THEN I DID RIDIN SO I THOUGHT THAT MAYBE THE FANS WERE SPINNING FAST ENUFF THATS WHY I ASKED ABOUT THE RPMS
HELL I EVEN HAD A TRANS-COOLER

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
well if it notoriously runs hot then just run em all the time. Make sure you got suffecient power runnin to them and make sort of a shroud to cover the rest of the radiator that the fans dont touch so it cools the whole radiator. Also you can buy some antifreeze additive called below zero, it cools ur temps 20 degrees.

This is all assuming you have a 4 core radiator, dont have radiator cap problems or air in the system or a bad water pump or something else.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by CoupeDTS@Mar 19 2010, 09:11 PM~16942055
well if it notoriously runs hot then just run em all the time.  Make sure you got suffecient power runnin to them and make sort of a shroud to cover the rest of the radiator that the fans dont touch so it cools the whole radiator.  Also you can buy some antifreeze additive called below zero, it cools ur temps 20 degrees.

This is all assuming you have a 4 core radiator, dont have radiator cap problems or air in the system or a bad water pump or something else.
COOL. YEAH MAYBE IT WAS THE RADIATOR EVERYTHING ELSE WAS GOOD THO...THANX ONCE AGAIN FOR THE IN4

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
what about when u have a street hopper? i herd that electric fans werent really good for that type of car?

·
Registered
413 Posts
:cool: :wow:

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Originally posted by 84Cuttinthrough@Mar 19 2010, 11:29 PM~16942214
what about when u have a street hopper? i herd that electric fans werent really good for that type of car?
you have to make a bracket that grabs the top and bottom of the radiator and attach the fans to it. The push through retainers will break the radiator in no time. But on a car without hydrualics they work just fine.

·
DODGING ROAD KILL
11,710 Posts
Good topic for sure !

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
I have dual 12 inch fans with an aluminum radiator, 140 alt., and it is running off an accesory from the fuse box they are on as soon as the car starts. Never had an issue with them at all. Car runs cool never over heats. My motor is a 350.

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
What's a good place to buy that temp switch from? I only want my fan to come on at a specified temp and shut off as well. It's a Chevy 305....16" electric Spal fan.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Mar 26 2010, 12:33 AM~17004632
What's a good place to buy that temp switch from?  I only want my fan to come on at a specified temp and shut off as well.  It's a Chevy 305....16" electric Spal fan.
ebay, jegs, summit, speedwaymotors, they all have em. Just the sensor is like $15 and its set to turn on at a certain temp then shut off at a certain temp. I think they make adjustable ones too, or you can just get ones that have different temp settings. Then youll just need a 30/40 amp relay, the sensor is the ground, and when the sensor gets hot enough it grounds itself to the intake or wherever you have it mounted then the relay clicks on and sends the power to the fans.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Electric-Fan-Sensor,2349.html

that has the sensor and the relay kit below it. This is a good deal, most places want $40 for a kit of just these parts. The relay kit comes with instructions on how to wire it up. Im sure ebay or other places have this stuff cheap too. This is what I have though.

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
Good looking out homie. Yeah, i been finding those kits for $40 everywhere. I just didn't know if the generic brand N/O switches would be alright to use. I just want a sensor that i don't have to worry about, especially since i don't have a coolant temp gauge in the car ;)

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
yea same here. The only trick to them is the fitting is a pipe thread so you need to use teflon to seal it. BUT if the fitting metal doesnt touch the intake metal it cant ground to it. So you have to just teflon part of the sensor so it seals but other part of it still touches metal to metal.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts