LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Insurance Agent
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows. My neighbor is trying to get his brake lights to work....the rear window brake light works, but the other ones on the trunk lid don't.

Any help? I'm no electrical guy. We've tried to replace the bulbs

·
Insurance Agent
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry....its a cavalier...not sure exactly what year, but must be a 2000-2003 4 door

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
1-check fuse
2-brake pin switch (located above the brake pedel)
3-torn ground wire, this is located in the trunk area near the wiring for the lights

check them in that order unless something obvious would have caused#3

·
Insurance Agent
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 11 2005, 11:37 PM~3598162
1-check fuse
2-brake pin switch (located above the brake pedel)
3-torn ground wire, this is located in the trunk area near the wiring for the lights
check them in that order unless something obvious would have caused#3
fuse - check

brake pin switch - is this necessary if the 3rd brake light works. I mean, I will check it when I get home from work, but....

Is it obviously a wire?

·
Triple OG
11,047 Posts
I would think that it may be under another fuse. The reason I say this is because the top light works. I would check all the fuses just in case.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by Eric@Aug 12 2005, 10:59 AM~3603478
fuse - check

brake pin switch - is this necessary if the 3rd brake light works. I mean, I will check it when I get home from work, but....
Is it obviously a wire?
Hmm. Well, there may be 2 outputs on the brake pin switch. One for 3rd brake light and another for the rears. I would say though without knowing this for sure that the ground wire would be the next think to check out. I mean, you can test this by applying 12V to the wire that would light the brake lights and making sure they come on or just simply finding the wires and ensuring a proper ground.

I know you've probably tried this, but are the turn signals also the brake light? If so, did you try the hazards? You didn't say what kind of car so I'm just guessing here.

·
Insurance Agent
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its a newer (early 00's) Cavalier

everything else works, except these two lights. The bulb doubles as the reverse light (one on each side) and they BOTH work...

·
Insurance Agent
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by concrete@Aug 12 2005, 11:07 AM~3603517
I would think that it may be under another fuse. The reason I say this is because the top light works. I would check all the fuses just in case.
yeah, we did that too. That's why it's driving me nuts...it ain't even my car

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by Eric@Aug 12 2005, 01:27 PM~3604549
its a newer (early 00's) Cavalier

everything else works, except these two lights.  The bulb doubles as the reverse light (one on each side) and they BOTH work...
Same bulb works as the reverse light? So, the second filiment is used as a reverse light? Thats odd, i've never seen that. ARe you sure? I've seen obviously them double as parking lights but never reverse and brake in the same bulb?

IN this pic, the middle two are shared with the reverse but those aren't the brake lights, just the outside are. This pic is of an 01.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
looks like the ones in the trunk lid are TAIL lights. the brake lights are towards the outside of the vehicle.

on my monte, the guage fuse has a tendency of popping and taking the tail lights with it :grumble:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts