LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen caddy seats where the emblem wasnt stitched in the seat back but just embossed... Im sure you all know what Im talkin about?

how is this done? Im about to start re-appolstering my seats and was hopping to re-create that effect

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
is the caddy emblem sticking out or sinking in?.....they sell 1/4'' contour foam which is very simple to work with and can be used to recreate this...also what type of fabric is on the seats now and what are you putting back onto the seats?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it has just regular fabric now but im re doing it in white leather... the emblem ive seen was sunken in. its not there on the origional seats but i want it to be there when im done

·
Registered
391 Posts
Its done with 1/8 foam the same foam you use on phantom tops I forgot the name

What you do is you get one full piece of the foam for the backing then cut your shape out on another one

Then you get your shape that you just made out of the other piece of foam lets says your caddy emblem you spray glue behind it and glue it to the full piece of foam you have for the backing

After that you spray the foam and put your material over it using something to push the material so it makes the shape of the foam you cut you can do it with some vinyl material not all of them cause it has to be atlease a little stretchable so it molds into the foam you cut

Then you let it dry and the most important part is after your done and you got your shape and everything you sew a line along the edge of the design just use the same color of the material
The reason you sew it is cause the material will come off if you don’t

Tweed is what you usually use to do this but it can be done with any material as long as you can stretch it a little bit so it molds to the design of the foam

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
ive never tried any sunk in but in some of the boats i worked on i had to put emblems etc.. into the captains chairs and such....sewing is important though and a good fabric for doing this is called ultraleather...its a synthetic but its extremely flexible and soft...should work in a car pretty damn good too..we used the stuff on yachts and salt water is some rough shit when it comes to upholstery...i suggest if your going to make the rest of your seats just take the piece where your going to have the emblem put on and trying to get an upholstery shop to do those pieces and thats it..that way you can pretty much still say you did it yourself

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just saw one today and I looked at it close and it looks like it was pressed by a machine... no stitching at all. it came that way on some models I guess

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
may have been pressed but to recreate that would most likely be a bitch without stitching because eventually its going to break loose and end up bubbling out...like i said before though check out ultraleather...very easy to work with and it has a massive stretch to it...if your going to do it with leather look into using that for the emblem area..

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
like i said before just take those few pieces to a shop and have them do it for ya....shouldnt take them long to do....maybe 20 minutes tops

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well my mom just told me that she has a pretty fancy sewing machine that has a scanner on it so I could just scan a caddy emblem and it would stitch it for me

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
tell her to hook me up with some $ signs for my headrests lol

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
nothing wrong with side money....seems lately since i started doing tint graphics people have been wanting windows tinted out the ass....although i hate tinting its still side money and quick...upholstery is another thing i do somewhat on the side...nothing but house stuff though..some day i will own my own shop doing something...forget working for someone all my life

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Oct 3 2003, 11:21 PM
...forget working for someone all my life
thats what the phuk Im talkin about... here here my brutha... :cheesy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts