LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i was gonna do the engine silver and the firewall black. I don't really like the way that looks now. The car has not been painted yet so i'm gonna change it while i can.

Now it's all gonna be done to match the car. Painter is gonna do the firewall, but i am doin the engine. I already pulled the motor & the tranny. First, what should i use to strip old high temp paint of the block? Also, any special steps i need to take when i paint the engine? I think its OK to use the same paint as the rest of the car (Valspar metallic blue),
right?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
aircraft remover..

its a semi liquid paint stripper, takes just about anything off, but its messier than hell..

I've seen people use regular paint on motors before, cant say how well it holds up though!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
you can use regular car paint, i think run a little more hardner, like any paint though, it will after a while start to burn off and chip and stuff but if its a show car it should be good for a while

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
get some areoplane stripper it will come off with a rag and then just paint it wth a high temp paint and you shuld be fine
lay it on a lil heavy andit will crack

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i powerwashed it them let it dry then wire wheeled the whole thing and then asatoned it about three times to make shure it was clean and got some high heat primer but a little less than a quart on it on it then took the whole engine apart and cleand for the gaskets and taped every thing and primerd it it looks like a new engine :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Last edited by 82onJUICE at Aug 6 2003, 03:05 AM

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
:angry: i would ike if you would stay out of my personal biss :biggrin:

naw man just playing i bought a ploished one and i set it on there like it looks right know and i did not like it at all was not as shinny as the chrome so i sent it out and had it chromed i ove how it looks know i would recomend it to any one you might have 300 in it when it is done but you just have to wipe it down if you drive with the polished ones it starts fading after a little bit and then you have to reploish it and it will never look as good as when you put it on ;) :biggrin:
the bad thing is know i have to chrome the pullys to mach because i bought them ploished i thought it would tie them in togather but o well

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
it is going to almost be that color i had it stripped to day have a pic up later ononce i get the dig working right i used the air plain stripper on my underbelly man you better be care full were gloves because it is messy and it burns like hell when it touches your skin i had some land on my lip and i had a blister for over a week :angry: the big thing is take your time but i dont think you will need to use it on a engine just use a wire wheel on a drill and some asatone and it will look like a new engine and wont get you all messy :biggrin:

·
Registered
163 Posts
i painted my block white..
end did it like this. ( as a guy told me it was the only best way, you can even do metalcolors)
-first bare metal the block
-then 2 layers of epoxyprimer (ets-primer)
-then 2 or 3 layers of washprimer
-then 2 coats of white (2-component paint)
you can also add 1 or 2 coats of clear... but with me the white was already shiny. (if you do clear, do not too many coats as this will crack after a while)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i used singal stage on mine it is more duable (spelling ) the only thing i keep hearing from every one is make shure you use heat primer or you will drive it a couple of times and it will start cracking every were but i reqally dont know i am just hopeing mine stays nice :biggrin:

and nice looking block man :biggrin:

Last edited by 82onJUICE at Aug 10 2003, 11:36 PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts