LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, i recently started working at an industrial hydraulic shop and have been introduced to a whole new world of hydraulics. therefor i have discovered hydraulic pumps that run off of the engine instead of running powerpacks with tons of batterys. so what i am asking is am i the first to discover this ( probably not) or is there a reason that everyone continues to use powerpack pumps. i realize that the one disadvantage to this is the vehicle has to be running to do anything but other than that what are some of the pros and cons to this style of set up??

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am sure that you could run a belt driven hydraulic pump on a car, and even use the liftgate style mechanical levers with sucess... Why it hasn't been done.... I haven't put much though into it. Installing an idle boosting circuit would be benificial so you won't stall the engine when you put it under heavy load.... Lets get the creative juices flowing! :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
It would be an incredibly high maintenance system. You would have to run a maniflod settup. The pump driven by the motor would send the oil to an 8 dump manifold to run the system. Then of course depending on the pump. You may need some type of relief that allows the oil to circulate while not in use. This way the pumps dont seize and burn up the belts. I think there are some pumps that have a clutch type settup on the pulley that engages when used. Overall it would be expensive, complicated, high maintenance, and you would have to keep the motor running. I didn't enven get into all the wear and tear/ loss of horsepower it would cause. Just my thoughts ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well as for it being slow, all u have to do is run a bigger pulley for more psi. and as for the maitnence, i rebuild these pumps all day everyday so it wouldnt really be a big deal, and the expensive part is simple, the shop foreman and i have put a pump aside that "went missing" . but what i was thinking is have a resovoir with 4 valves comming out of it with one vavlve for each wheel

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
"pumps that have a clutch type setup on the pulley that engages when used...." Is the way to go... 4 manual valves (like you see on car carriers) would be kinda cheesy, but they'd work well and are reliable... As far as horsepower, it would draw around 1.5-3hp while not in use... I am unsure what it would potentially be while the engine is under load, but you'd see higher hydraulic pressure when revs are increased. It would be expensive to buy components new, but used stuff can be found very cheap at yardsales (at least out near my moms house in farm country....lol) or at farm tractor supply stores... Most likely cheap enough to experiment with....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can still run electric valves with it so i wouldnt have hydraulic lines running into my interior and and i owkr with these style of pumps and industrial hydraulics all day ( tractors, fork lifts etc..) so as i said before parts are not a problem

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by old_school_48@Sep 26 2003, 12:08 AM
i can still run electric valves with it so i wouldnt have hydraulic lines running into my interior and and i owkr with these style of pumps and industrial hydraulics all day ( tractors, fork lifts etc..) so as i said before parts are not a problem
Well, the system would have to go kinda like this. 8 control valves(dumps) or a manifold. 4 to control fluid pressure to lift the car. 4 to release the fluid back to the resivior. Some type of relief valve system or regulating device to prevent pressure from building and blowing shit up. Alot of plumbing. I dont know if a clutch type pulley exists I just kinda thought it would. Of couse this would be alot like a PTO. where you would have a shut off lever. But, the most important part of the settup will be the pressure relief.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by old_school_48@Sep 26 2003, 12:08 AM
This makes you the perfect guinee pig. JUST DO IT :biggrin:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so u guys think it is worth trying then? lol what does it matter, i am still gonna try it anyways cause if it does work i will have juice for almost next to nothing, and if it doesnt work, then i will know and it wont be an expensive mistake lol.

·
Registered
480 Posts
it didnt work on monster garage with the hurst ?
just an input :cool:

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by Kurupt K@Sep 26 2003, 02:18 AM
it didnt work on monster garage with the hurst ?
just an input :cool:
I was gonna use that as an example. Thanks for bringing it up. The reason they kept frying belts on the Grimm Reaper.Was because they had no relief valve. Once pressure was built up in the lines up to the control valves. The pumps would stop and the belts would keep going and burn up. So, as long as you have the appropriate relief settup. It should be fine.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
it would be cool for a daily ride

1 - 14 of 14 Posts